Views
Helpful
Replies

impressions about 7920 roaming

f-vanryckeghem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just this post to collect your impressions about 7920 roaming. Personally, in our implementations we use LEAP ( with ACS server or Local Radius) and we always experience some cuts while roaming.

Our results within "complex" warehouse environment are not very good.

For you ... what are you results ?

I think it would be fine if we could share our experiences ...

regards

frederic

5 Replies 5

karl.dorme
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same problems ;-)

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

You may want to try the latest, 1.06 which is available for download and corrects some of the roaming problems.

Often wireless problems are down to design issues with the wireless network. Take a look at the 7920 Wireless Design Guide and make sure that you are following the recommendations:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/wireless_ipt_guide_7920.html

Folks,

I am having the same issue at our location, but, i feel that i have not configured roaming correctly on the access-pomits, how does anyone know if fast roaming is configured correctly on all the access-points. and show command???

Thanks,

tarun.pahuja
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

We experienced the same problem and here is the answer from cisco. Presently cisco ip phones do not support CCKM which is required for fast roaming. that means that everytime the phone moves from 1 access point to another it is going to be cut off from the wireless network for a second or a 2, many times leading to a call disconnect.

Cisco says that the phone firmware will start supporting cckm from june.

In the mean time I have a question as i can not use Leap ON MY IP Phone, because of disconnect issues.

i wanted to do open authentication for the 7920, but for security reasons only on mac address basis. but, it appears that i can not associate local mac-address authetication with a VLAN. That sucks!

I just want open authetication on voice vlan on my access-point for the 7920 and want only the phones to connect on the vlan, but i can not do local mac-address filter on vlan basis.

i do not want to do server mac-address authentication as it would cause delay just like leap.

any ideas?

Thanks

MAC authentication is done on SSID basis. CCKM support on 7920 is targetted for end of 2004. Ensure you are using 1.07 on 7920.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card