Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

iOS6 supports 802.11r

A guy blogged about iOS6 supporting 802.11r. Has anyone else tested this ?

http://wireless-richard.blogspot.jp/2012/09/80211r-support-in-ios-6.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin       

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hey George, long time no talk.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 802.11r fast roam back only?  So his test doesn't really seem valid if thats the case?  If I have 2 AP's.  AP1 and  AP2 connected to a controller configured with a valid WLAN that fully supports 802.11r.

When I fire up my iOS6 802.11r capeable device and connect to AP1 because its the best choice at the time I do a full 802.1x auth as I always would.  I then begin to roam and jump to AP2 I again would perform a full 802.1x auth as this is a roam forward.  If I was then to roam back to AP1 I would not perform the 802.1x auth as for a period of time I'm "cached" here.

Am I correct with this?

Also, assuming I understnad this correctly what is that "length" of time that AP1 will remember me as a client? 

Maybe I'm way off here but I thought this was the case?

Highlighted

Brian,

No, actually 802.11r is FT. Its the first real IEEE standard for roaming. I will attach some bathroom reading material for your reading pleasure. Its something we've been waiting for, for a long time. Note, your controller needs to support 802.11r which I understand 7.2 or 7.3 does officially. 7.x I hear has hooks in 802.11r but not fully supported. Perhaps one of the Cisco guys can comment from the controller side of 802.11r. ?

http://www.cwnp.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/802.11_RSN_FT.pdf

http://www.cwnp.com/cwnp_wifi_blog/802-11r-r-is-for-rapid/

http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com/2010/06/its-time-for-80211r.html

ROAM BACK is PMK Cache, which is part of the orginal standard .

__________________________________________________________________________________________

My bad..lack of coffee this morning or something.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I was mixing this up with the sticky key caching as  I knew some iOS devices were supporting it 7.2 code was also supporting it.  Disregard my message above. 

Is there a list of Apple devices that support 802.11r?  IPAD 1, 2, 3?

Happend to run across this.  A good article!

http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/FeedEnclosure/utah.edu.1380568002.01381129957.13559260413/enclosure.pdf

Highlighted

First, I would comment on a disclaimer, I havent tested this myself.

This is the bad thing about Apple. They release updates like this and its not publish and if it is published, where is it at ?

btw -- No worries. Keeping up with roaming, how it works, who is doing what and what is really going on is a PITA.

Know how this support is handeled with HP's in flexconnect/H-Reap mode?  Do we need Flexconnect/H-Reap AP groups to suppor it just like CCKM or will it be supported nativly?

Highlighted

That's a great question. First your client needs to support r. I don't think hp is. You would need to sniff and peek at the rsn element of the client. Which is in the association and reassocation request frames. On the network side, it would be the beacon and probe response frames.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HP's was supposed to be AP's.  I need to give up on today :-P

Highlighted

You're flagged!

Then you want to make sure you see the broadcast and the probe response frames to make sure the wlc / ap supports it .

Hi, I am that "guy" who did the blog.

So far, I tested iPhone 4S and the new iPad, both worked. I also did sniffer and "debug ft", see the other two posts in my blog.

However, it seems that even with the iOS 6, the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are not working, I am still trying to confirm that with more test, so stay tuned.