Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Addressing on High Density Wireless

sdeltoro1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys a very easy question:

what is better? or if exist another best-practices please tell me.

consider the fact only 1 ssid, 2000 user on same building  (4 areas, not separete areas, they are very close)

1.- one network mask /21? for whole building?. effect: I think this generate too much traffic, broadcast etc.

2.- 4 network mask /24 each one. using vlan id group and assign one vlan x area?, effect: roming wil be at layer 3, and will be experience renewal ip and a lot conect/disconect problem?

thanks and regards

6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will get difference answers from different folks, for sure.

I manage a large WLAN and have 3,000 client in the same subnet and its a voice vlan at that. I dont have any issues. The WLC will proxy the broadcast, so broadcast are never on the wireless medium. However, if I were to have deisgned this network, I would have done /22 and ap groups or a dynamic vlan.

I hope this helps

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just like what George said, you'll get different answers from different people.
We have couple of networks all are /20. All are fine (all are data).

I would study it carefully about how many users would possibly roam from an area to another before choosing. But if everything is OK I think I will end up using one subnet.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

thanks Guys,

I will implement using one subnet, what version is your WLC and if the broadcast is enable for default or must be disabled?.

thanks

If there are no applications that needs broadcast then I prefer to keep it disabled.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use Interface group.

This is also a good solution to make smaller subnets on same WLAN rathe than mapping the WLAN to same big subnet/VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card