cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Voice and Data sharing same WLAN ... Any Issues??

mjohnson1914
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a customer that wants to put voice and data on the same wlan. Although I have recommended against this they still want to proceed; so I am trying to come up with a list of reasoning why this isn't a good idea. They plan to use Spectralink Handsets and just laptops for data.

So far, I have came up with the following:

- Won't be able to prioritize Voice traffic or set QoS trust boundaries

- Network segmentation can provide security protection from network attacks

- Ease of management and configuration

I'm not sure if there are more than that or not. I took those from the Voice Design Guide so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!?!

Thanks in advance for your comments and/or suggestions!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

7 Replies 7

j.metzger
Level 1
Level 1

Harder to troubleshoot.

You actually can do AAA Over ride for QoS if they authenticate via RADIUS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You want to segment voice on the wireless for the same reason on the wired, segmentation and traffic prioritization. Of course, customers will do what customers want to do. Educate them and make sure they understand the risk document it and even have the sign off.

What is the wifi client mix, how many data client vs phones?

Are you using 802.11g or 802.11a

If this is small deployment you may not have any issues...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I completely agree with George, but I have a question for another instance.

What about the Cius? It seems to be a gray area. How would you recommend doing the network for it, since it does voice, video, and data? We currently have our VoIP WLAN and our Data WLAN. Do we allow data on the VoIP network, VoIP on our data network, or create a new WLAN that does both to segregate the Cius?

Thanks for any input and sorry for thread jacking.

Brock

Cius should be treated as a voice device as far as Cisco WLAN controller and netowrk configuration is concerned.

You want to design based on the highest capability, which in this case is voice over video or data.

You may want to have Cius in a different VLAN than other clients like 792x or 997x if you are planning to allow Internet access for application use, etc.

Typically most would not allow Internet access for 792x or 997x unless there is some web hosted app or data on the Internet that an XML app or Java Midlet relies on.

See the Cisco Cius WLAN Deployment Guide for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/ccmcd/deploy/9_2_1/english/ciusdply921.pdf

Does this also apply for an iPad with Cisco Mobile 8.1?  We have an issue with AES encryption on those.

You have to remember when you configure a voice wlan you can place any device into this wlan. with that being said, they will all share the same over the air priority. This include your laptops, phones etc .. Why cause they all associated to teh voice vlan.

However, when they hit the wired, if the device doesn't mark its frames accordingly it may not have proper wired side qos settings.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

We deployed a new WLAN for the Cius that is a voice driven design, but the it is also used for Cius data.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: