cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to have more then one dhcp in serving my wirelesse network ?

flaviomcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi .. i have a cisco 2100 controller controling 6 Ap´s but splited in separated buildings each bulting with its own dhcp server.

At the moment all the aps are serving ips from only one dhcp.

The question is .. can i  have the ap´s on each building serving ips from the local dhcp server or just the ips where the controller is located ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok. Then it's you who got us wrong in the end :-)

If you cannot afford the AP group way by putting the 3 subnets as 3 interfaces on the WLC (because those 2 other subnets are not available at WLC site), then you need to go the H-REAP way and have all traffic locally switched by the APs.

Nicolas

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

tfraij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Flavio,

yes this can be implemented.

as i understand you want every AP in remote site to use local DHCP on that site. correct?

if yes this can be implemented.

you can use the AP in H-reaP mode.

then make the AP as H-REAP local switching.

and do H-REAP VLAN mapping for the AP.

now if you do that it is important to :

1) connect AP to trunk ,with native that AP will take IP from.

2) on L3 interface for the VLAN on local site , add IP-helper address command to the VLAN interface....

Best regards

Talal

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is if you want your traffic locally switched on the different buildings.

You can also alternatively configure 6 different interfaces on the WLC, each one having a different DHCP server ip referenced. Then you configure AP groups on the WLC and place each AP in a different AP group with different interface binding for your wlan.

This will keep traffic centrally switched on the WLC. Otherwise Talal's reply works too.

Nicolas

===

I have no way of connecting each interface to each diferent

netword... will it work just giving the interface a ip address of my network and pointing

the dhcp in the other network ?

You can have a DHCP server configured and that DHCP server is sitting on another network. that's ok

But if I understood you, you want to create 6 interfaces in the same subnet, but each pointing to a different dhcp server right ?

That's impossible since it's not possible to configure several interfaces in the same subnet.

Nicolas

===

No.. you got that wrong... i have  network 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24  and 10.0.2.0/24

the controler is in network 10.0.0.0/24 but i also have ap´s in network  1 and 2 each network with its own dhcp server... at the moment all clientes conected to wirelesse are getting ips from network 0 and i want aps from network 1 and 2 to serve ips from dhcp located in their network.

Ok. Then it's you who got us wrong in the end :-)

If you cannot afford the AP group way by putting the 3 subnets as 3 interfaces on the WLC (because those 2 other subnets are not available at WLC site), then you need to go the H-REAP way and have all traffic locally switched by the APs.

Nicolas

Ok .. thanks... i was just trying all the possible ways  but know i know

that this is the path to solve my problem

thank you again

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes this can be done by a feature called AP-Grouping.. Here is the link to perform the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

lemme know if this helps..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card