cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the traffic from the guest user encrypted?

arun.mohan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The design is typical Cisco unified wireless solution. In such a implementation, is the traffic from the guest user who has successfully authenticated via WEB-AUTH encrypted? If so, what is the standard used, AES128 or TKIP?

merci,

arun

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Web auth is LAYER 3 authentication and the LAYER 2 will be none meaning open authentication.. so its no encryption!!

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Hi,

use WPA2-PSK (AES) as the encryption... where in u need to proivide the PSK firct and get AES encrypted and then check it out!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Web auth is LAYER 3 authentication and the LAYER 2 will be none meaning open authentication.. so its no encryption!!

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yeah, i just now checked the SSID broadcast message in my PC. And it says unsecured wireless network for the guest WLAN.

Is there way to have any encryption standards for Guest user?

Hi,

use WPA2-PSK (AES) as the encryption... where in u need to proivide the PSK firct and get AES encrypted and then check it out!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks. We can't use both AES and web-auth togather rite? Also how many AES bits are used in WLC by default 128, 192 or 256?

We can use them both!! not sure about how many bits this uses.. i think 128, a packet capture will answer this question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Most AES implementations are in 128 bits by default..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card