Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue getting Motorola 9060G scanner to work with 5508 WPA-TKIP

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We have a new 5508 controller that we are trying to get setup to use our Motorola 9060G handheld scanners. This device uses WPA-TKIP and has been working with a Symbol controller without issue. I need to retire this controller so started re-creating the SSID on the Cisco controller. I am having issues getting the scanner to connect with the new SSID. It looks like everything works fine with no security but once I start to enable WPA+WAP2 I get no connectivity. Laptops work fine just not the handheld. I have tried every combination I can think of for AES and TKIP under the WPA and WPA2 policies. I have also gone through the Cisco Best Practices guide for Motorola/Symbol Wireless Handheld Scanners and so far unless I have no security I cannot get things to work properly. I tried doing a debug client to see what or how the two are talking but I can only get results with security set to open. Just looking for other suggestions as to something that I might be missing. My controller is running 7.6.100

Thanks ...

Brent Berry

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We have a new 5508 controller that we are trying to get setup to use our Motorola 9060G handheld scanners. This device uses WPA-TKIP and has been working with a Symbol controller without issue. I need to retire this controller so started re-creating the SSID on the Cisco controller.

Just be aware that the Wi-Fi Alliance has scheduled the "elimination" of TKIP.  What you are about to do is a "temporary" solution.  You can get the scanner to work now because you are using WLC firmwares that still support TKIP.  However, if (in the future) you need to upgrade your controller's firmware to support newer wireless access points, your scanners may not work any more.  

Read HERE.

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Ok .. I think we have figured it out. It seems on this controller you cannot have both WAP and WAP2 configured on the same SSID. Configured things for just WPA-TKIP and everything seems to work fine.

Brent

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Brent

I'm having the same issue with an MC9060G scanner and a Cisco 2504 controller running 7.6.120.0 code.

I have created a separate SSID using only WPA-1 with TKIP.

I'm using a pre-shared key but am totally confused about the setting of the key on the scanner.

If you use a password such as cisco1234 in ASCII on the WLC and enter cisco1234 as a passkey on the scanner the resultant keys generated on the scanner are not cisco1234 in hex.

I've tried filling the fields on the scanner with 0101 and then entering 01 for 64 characters in hex on the WLC.

The scanner simply won't connect unless I disable all encryption and leave it open.

I can get it working on WEP - big deal!

Regards

Roger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card