cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Issue with Aux Port (2700 AP's) after upgrade past 8.5.161

Hi All, 

I have a vWLC running software 8.5.161, when I upgrade to any version in 8.8 or 8.10 releases I am noting a loss in my layer 2 connection on 2700 access points with directly connected hosts via the AUX port on the AP. 

The AP's are configured in a WLAN Group/ Flex Connect configuration. The vWLC and AP's are all locally connected, the AP's still function and the SSID works, the only issue is post upgrade the hosts connected via the AP AUX port no longer have any network access, they do not get a DHCP address/ but do note if a host is statically configured then it is possible to ping the local directly connected AP via its MGMT IP, but nothing else northbound e.g Switch SVI, DFG, WLC or other AP's via their MGMT IP's in the local subnet... Also note they are all in the same VLAN/ Subnet ... 

Is there some new configuration or power switch which should be set to enable AUX port/ or is this a bug?

For contect... Everything is VLAN 1... 

WLC: 192.168.1.200 /24

DFG RTR: 192.168.1.254 /24 (This is also the DHCP server) 

SW1 SVI: 192.168.1.254 /24

AP's MGMT: 192.168.1. [1-6] /24

AP WIFI hosts: 192.168.1.[50-100] /24

AP 6 (AUX PORT) Connected Host: 192.168.1.101 /24

AP's are connected to Switch in trunk configuration with native vlan as 1... All works in 8.5.161 post upgrade only issue is the wired host 192.168.1.101 via Aux is blocked/ unable to access network/ not working... The AP's have successfully upgraded/ can be seen in the controller, Wireless clients working normally etc...  

Checked ARP table on the AUX port wired host, it doesnt see anything else other than AP... 

Any further questions let me know..

Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
VIP Advocate

Re: Issue with Aux Port (2700 AP's) after upgrade past 8.5.161

Can you check if the AP gets correct full PoE on the newer releases? If it only gets 15.4 W it disables the port.
Otherwise I couldn't find any information to changes in the newer build, but maybe there is a bug open.
Highlighted
Beginner

Yep all AP's are getting full power no issues here.  I looked through bug tool, could not identify anything reported. I also had feedback from Cisco to report this to TAC / but sadly no valid support contract for these devices. My feeling is it either a bug/ or with the major release change there is a new way of configuring the AUX ports... I did note in one release notes a statement only 2800 series are supported for Aux and to configure as an RLAN/ disable LACP etc it was far more complex than just enabling the port in the WLAN Group...

Which makes me wonder if they dropped this feature for 2700's I did follow the steps for the 2800's and it still didn't work... I rolled back all changes then did a downgrade of software and the aux port started working again... I suppose I am seeking a confidence check from anyone else - who can help...

Highlighted
VIP Advocate

Never tested or used it.
The 2800 series (family) have a completely new operating system, which is probably why it's completely different to be configured on them.
Normally Cisco writes about removed features in the release notes, but I was unable to find anything. You might want to buy a SMARTNET (or whatever it's called now) for a year for an AP or the WLC (not sure if WLC would suffice for a TAC on the AP, although the issue is with the WLC software...). For a single AP it's fairly cheap.
Highlighted
Beginner

Just quick note, tried upgrading to AIR-CTVM-K9-8-10-122-0.aes today to see if the problem is resolved...

Wireless Clients who connect to the same physical AP a wired host is connected can now pass traffic between them... I still cannot pass any traffic from the wirehost upstream of the AP into the switch... But a remote desktop session worked fine from a wireless client to the wired host on the AUX port... 

Again all issues were resolved after rolling back firmware in controller/ AP's...So still on 8.5.161...

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Master

Aaron,
Have you tried to create an RLAN and follow the instructions for wave 2 access points for using the aux port? Just curious. Things do change and features get removed or they change, that is why having or depending on too many features requires testing to make sure nothing breaks. I have seen issues with I use 1815t/w with interface mappings after the ap reboots and I have to manually fix that, however, the latest code has fixed that from what I have seen so far.
I do have a 2504 running 8.10 and a few 3702's I can play with to see if I can get it to work, but maybe next week I will be able to do some testing.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad

Cisco COVID-19 Survey