Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN and Wireless Not communicate

Teoh Chee Hin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear support,

I do have a Cisco router and Juniper firewall, which allow me to connect to internet.

Internally after the firewall, i connect it to switches and wireless AP.

Both switch and wireless AP must be able to talk to each other, when user pc connect to LAN via switch or wifi via wireless AP

My switch is Cisco 2960, and AP is AP1142N.

I do have application, IPhone which install an app, call media remote, this features enable me to remote control to my music device

IPhone connect using wifi

Music device connect using switch

Cisco router ------ Juniper firewall ------ Catalyst 2960 ----------- AP1142N . . . . IPhone

|

|

|

Music device

If in above scenario, my Iphone not able to detect music device

Cisco router ------ Juniper firewall ------ Catalyst 2960 ---------Hub ----------- AP1142N . . . . IPhone

|

|

|

Music device

I don't understand why if i using any brand hub, example 3com, belkin, buffalo, etc, which use only as hub, just connect to my cisco switch, and both music device and AP1142N, are able to talk (iphone able to search my music device)

If i replace the hub, as cisco switch, and use it as default setting, it not able to detect

The connection to hub, i am using access port, as we only have one vlan.

My configuration as below for my switch and wireless ap

I wonder why only normal hub able this two device to communicate, but cisco not.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at this link. You might need to enable multicast for it to work, but your devices might have to be in the same subnet.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3519224#3519224

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am not sure for the answer, is it need to enable the multicast on router side? as my cisco switch only layer 2, and the routing, dhcp is getting from firewall.

Why it able to work with hub?

Sorry for my doubt. Can teach me?

Well when your using a hub, the devices are on the same network and will or should work. So if you want it to work with your Cisco switch, you need your AP and your music device on that same switch possible to work. Try connecting your music device on the same switch as your AP to see if that works.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

ya, both already in the same switch, just that the switch is connect to wireless ap, for are same vlan

i try enable ip multicast-routing at router, it not work

beside, i enable ip igmp snooping at switch and also wireless ap, also not work.

any other ?

u may view my diagram above, as it already connect to the same network and subnet, i do attach my configuration as well.

You might need to try to configure igmp snooping. Take a look at some of the configuration guides.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/setting-multicast-switch

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thank a lot.

i already enable the igmp on switch

when i show igmp snooping at switch

Vlan4:

-------

IGMP snooping                         : Enabled

IGMPv2 immediate leave          : Disabled

Multicast router learning mode: pim-dvmrp

CGMP interoperability mode    : IGMP-ONLY

Robustness variable              :2

Last member query about      :2

Last member query internal   : 1000

Both vlan 1 and vlan 4 is the same

I already try enable igmp on firewall side as well, juniperSSG140

but still not work, anyone can help?

any idea anyone?

i am out of idea, and try a lot of way to solve it, but still no solution, wonder why, the simple hub can work, but even i simulate cisco, as all default setting to become like hub,but still not solve, any different from other hub?

I have solve the issue myself.

Thank for the support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card