Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Roaming and DHCP

Aurecon Group
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys.

Setting up a multi floor WLAN using a 6500 WISM Controller. Each floor has an AP group with the floor WAPs assigned. Each floor has a VLAN and the WLC has an interface configured. Each floor has a WLAN configured with the same SSID and the only change is the interface on the WLAN per floor.

DHCP is remote on AD servers and each floor as a scope configured.

Each floor works fine - we can get connected and get assigned to correct IP address. The issue we had with this setup was moving between floors. When we move up a floor the client loses connection to the inital floor (coverage - as expected). if we disconnect and reconnect it connects to the new floor SSID and gets an IP from DHCP.

When looking into this - I then created an interface group and added all the floor interfaces into the group. I then applied the interface group to each floor WLAN and did soem testing - it worked as expected. I could now move between floors.

The issue with this is though. When I was testing I already had an IP address assigned from DHCP - before I changed to interface groups. The issue is that the intial DHCP assignment no longer works and we cant connect to the WLAN anymore,

Any pointers on getting this working?

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Saravanan, you pointed me in the right place - the AP GROUPs has the individual interfaces - as they were setup like that prior to me creating interface groups. I updated the WLANs to use the interface group - however seems like you also have to update the AP Group WLAN configs too. Seems to be working now as expected.

Thanks for the assistance

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

get, debug client

see if client getting excluded for some reason.

what is the test client device.

are interface group used in ap group.

Thanks Saravanan, you pointed me in the right place - the AP GROUPs has the individual interfaces - as they were setup like that prior to me creating interface groups. I updated the WLANs to use the interface group - however seems like you also have to update the AP Group WLAN configs too. Seems to be working now as expected.

Thanks for the assistance

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card