Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit max of users connected to an AP

it_support
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have around 10 Cisco AIR-AP1042N-E-K9 that are already attached to my WLC 2504.

My first question is: the way I can check how many clients/users are connected to one of the 10 AP

My second question is: Is there a limit max of users per AP. I've read on some forum that for design you have to count 30users per AP. But I want to confirm for my version of AP above is there any limit max of users per AP to get an optimal performance in term of speed rate?

Thanks

Augustin ANDRIA

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Go to WLAN > SSID Name > Advanced tab.

There is a box on the left-hand corner to limit the amount of Maximum Allowed Clients Per AP Radio. **** By default it is set to 200.

My first question is: the way I can check how many clients/users are connected to one of the 10 AP:

If you are using the latest SW version on WLC then you cna check by going to Wireless > All APs, on this page you can see the number of clinets to each AP.

My second question is: Is there a limit max of users per AP. I've read on some forum that for design you have to count 30users per AP. But I want to confirm for my version of AP above is there any limit max of users per AP to get an optimal performance in term of speed rate?

Rule of thumb is 25 but if its just web and email traffic you can have more.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

(Cisco Controller) >show client ap 802.11a ?

<Cisco AP>     Enter 'all' or the name of the Cisco AP.

Thanks,

Will check it by CLI also

Thank you,

I will give it a try

Also for high density setups check out this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/design_guide_c07-693245.pdf

One of the most important parts is to disable low Data Rates for greatly improved performance (extremely important if you have many SSIDs configured).

benjammin1001
Level 1
Level 1

I realize this thread is old - but just to add (since I was just looking at the difference between the WLANs -> SSID -> Advanced option and the WIreless -> RF Profiles -> <profile> -> High Density -> Maximum Clients option....

They look to be the same according to the 8.5.x firmware Configuration guide.

Cheers,

-Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card