cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit Wireless N Access

cjoseph23
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WiSM blade and about 25 LWAPP - all 1131s running 4.2.130. I do have 2 1252 APs and I want to limit the N access to only our management. We have tow SSIDs one is for guest access and it is using Web-Auth and the other is our Internal SSID which is using PEAP with a ACS server. Is there a way I can prevent an employee who has an N client access to the N network?

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You can disable N, but it might be disabled by default. In the GUI, go to the Wireless tab and look on the left. You'll see 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n drop-downs. Click one of these and you'll see an option at the bottom of the list called "High Throughput (802.11n)". Clicking this takes you to a screen where you can enable/disable 802.11n.

This disables the data rates for all clients and all SSIDs. I don't think there's a way to limit 802.11n data rates for a specific client or SSID.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to restrict 802.11n?

Why don't you just create another ssid and create a policy in the radius to only allow management users. Then on the 1252, you configure WLAN Override and only allow that ssid. Of course you will have to create an AD group for management unless you already have one. This way, you need to know the ssid and be part of the management group to access that.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, I figured I would need to create another SSID and allow only my management users access to the SSID. I was hoping I wouldn't have to tie the SSID to my 1252s. Now my 1252 will only be used for that single SSID but that may be want I have to do.

And I am implementing this upon our Owners request. We are getting clients asking how to accomplish this and we want to test it in our office first to see what all is involved.

Just keep not that you only want to use the 40mhz channel width on the 5ghz. So you actually still can have the other users utilize the 2.4ghz radio. Depending if the 1252 is required for additional coverage you need to have the said on the 2.4ghz side. If this will not be needed for additional coverage then you can disable the 2.4ghz radio.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

For anyone looking to limit access to a SSID using ACS here is the doc I used to accomplish this.

Restrict WLAN Access based on SSID with WLC and Cisco Secure ACS Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807669af.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: