Views
Helpful
Replies

Low download but high upload with Cisco 3702i

Henrikp92
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got a Cisco 3702i with an autonomous image (ap3g2-k9w7-xx.153-3.JBB1) and I have some trouble with my download speed. When I do a TP test it's only half the speed of my download compared to my upload speed.

Download: ~45.69Mbps

Upload: ~94.35 Mbps

I heard some people fixed it by disable WMM but when I do that it kills both my download and upload speed to around 18Mbps only which I don't understand either.

I tried to reset the configuration and only configured 5Ghz (802.11ac) with a channel width of 80Mhz with channel 52 (all my neighbours are using 2.4Ghz so that shouldn't be any problem).

I have tried both on my Oneplus Two (which has a 802.11ac wlan card) and my Intel nuc which also has a 802.11ac supported wlan card.

When I check the status of my phone it says:

Signal strength = Excellent

Link speed = 433Mbps
Frequency = 5GHz

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance

//

Henrik

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have tried both on my Oneplus Two (which has a 802.11ac wlan card) and my Intel nuc which also has a 802.11ac supported wlan card.

What is the exact model of the Intel NUC?

Link speed = 433Mbps 

That sounds like the OnePlus 2 has a WCN3680 WLAN chipset.  (Read THIS.)  The "link speed" might state 433 Mbps but reality speed is about 200 Mbps (upload plus download).  

802.11ac MCS Rates

What is the exact model of the Intel NUC?

Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH i3-5010U

That sounds like the OnePlus 2 has a WCN3680 WLAN chipset.  (Read THIS.)  The "link speed" might state 433 Mbps but reality speed is about 200 Mbps (upload plus download).  

But that doesn't explain why I get full upload speed but not full download speed right? I mean even if the reality speed is about 200 Mbps, I should get atleast 20 Mbps more on download.

It would make more sense if the upload and download speed was 50/50 but now I get full upload speed but only 50% of my total download speed.

Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH i3-5010U

Sorry, I meant the wireless card.

But that doesn't explain why I get full upload speed but not full download speed right?

Tablets, until now, still doesn't have enough CPU power & battery life to process full 802.11ac wave 1 throughput.  What is written in sales documentation and real life performance is miles apart.  

Sorry, I meant the wireless card

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Tablets, until now, still doesn't have enough CPU power & battery life to process full 802.11ac wave 1 throughput.  What is written in sales documentation and real life performance is miles apart.  

Ah that makes sense though, but that means I should get about the same speed for an example at my friends place with their 802.11ac router. I should atleast not get better.

I must say that when I got the 3702i AP I was happy, but so far I'm not really impressed regarding the coverage it gives and the speed. I had a 1242AG before with external anteenas and it does make sense that external antennas gives a better coverage but what I didn't expect was that the coverage was so bad with the 3702i. First I thought one of the internal antennas was broken or damaged in the 3702i.

I have my AP upstairs in a corner...I know, worst place ever, but I thought it was good enough to give a signal to the rest of the house. It's not really a big house and I had no problems with the Netgear WNR3500L router I had earlier... long time a go.

EDIT: Uploaded a screenshot of the Wi-fi status and TP test from my Intel NUC

I must say that when I got the 3702i AP I was happy, but so far I'm not really impressed regarding the coverage it gives and the speed. I had a 1242AG before with external anteenas and it does make sense that external antennas gives a better coverage but what I didn't expect was that the coverage was so bad with the 3702i. First I thought one of the internal antennas was broken or damaged in the 3702i.

3702 has CleanAir and the old 1242 doesn't.  Disable CleanAir and see if the coverage increases.  

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

This card can do 2x2:2 (2 in, 2 out and 2 spatial stream).  So it doesn't give you a lot either.   When using WLAN, disable BT.

3702 has CleanAir and the old 1242 doesn't.  Disable CleanAir and see if the coverage increases.  

I thought you needed a controller to be able to use CleanAir, because I can't find it anywhere in the config to disable it and when I google it, it only describes how you do it on the controlller or specific AP's within the WLC configuration.

I forgot to mention that I don't have a WLC, it's just a single 3702i with an autonomous image.

This card can do 2x2:2 (2 in, 2 out and 2 spatial stream).  So it doesn't give you a lot either.   When using WLAN, disable BT.

I'm using my Intel nuc as a HTPC and to control it I use a BT keyboard but I thought BT used the 2.4Ghz so that shouldn't interfere with the 5Ghz right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card