Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP and WLC are on different Subnets

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new in Cisco's wireless world and now i have a duty to test the deployment of WLC 5508. What i have done was deploying WLC and LWAP in the same subnet (same VLAN) and i am pretty much understand about this method. Now i am trying to deploy it with scenario the WLC and LWAP are on different subnets.

FYI i use:

1 x AIR-CT-5508 (VLAN 110)

1 x aironet 2602I (VLAN 310)

to simplfy the test, i have configured the static IP address in my LWAP using CLI and i am just using 1 SSID which will be located in the same VLAN as LWAP (VLAN310) and the user will get IP address from internal DHCP from WLC. Below is some information about this scenario:

WLC:

• IP address: 10.200.110.15/24
  • gateway   : 10.200.110.1

LWAP (because i am using CLI, i am trying to write it based on the syntax):

• capwap ap ip address              : 172.16.10.15/24
  • capwap ap controller ip address: 10.200.110.15
  • capwap ap default-gateway       : 172.16.10.1

The dynamic interface which i used to associate the SSID:

• VLAN310
  • gateway: 172.16.10.1
  • primary DHCP server: 10.200.100.15 (management interface's ip address of WLC)

Do you think i have done some misconfiguration here? Please inform me about your opinions.

One more thing about AP Manager interface. In the Configuration Guide, it said that AP Manager interface is used for L3 communication between WLC and LWAP. Because i am using WLC 5508 so i think i don't have to configure it and just using the Management interface for this L3 communcation. Am i right?

Thanks in advance.

best regards,

Yedi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the world of Cisco wireless.

A few items I would like to point out for your understanding:

Dynamic interfaces are used for wireless clients. This is where a wireless lives when they attach to your wifi.

Aps are not required to live on the dynamic or management vlans. However if you put an ap on a vlan other than the controller mgt vlan you need to deploy some way for the ap to find the controller the first time. This is normally done with dhcp option 43, Dns, or has you pointed out static entry on the ap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Yedi,

I did not understand your problem.

what is the problem you face?
APs do not join? or clients do not connect?

please provide the following form the WLC CLI:

* show interface detailed

* show dhcp detailed

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad,

Currently i am not facing any problem, i am just want to verify my scenario before i test Layer 3 communication between WLC and LWAP. I am doing this because I never do this scenario before and currently i am out of reach of my gears so i can't test it by my self. So in the other words, i am still making a plan before doing live testing.

For DHCP scope:

• start: 172.16.10.16
  • end: 172.16.10.26
  • gateway: 172.16.10.1

best regards,

Yedi

Welcome to the world of Cisco wireless.

A few items I would like to point out for your understanding:

Dynamic interfaces are used for wireless clients. This is where a wireless lives when they attach to your wifi.

Aps are not required to live on the dynamic or management vlans. However if you put an ap on a vlan other than the controller mgt vlan you need to deploy some way for the ap to find the controller the first time. This is normally done with dhcp option 43, Dns, or has you pointed out static entry on the ap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi Amjad and George,

thanks for your reply, i have finished this kind of my first Cisco Wireless equipments testing since last month and it worked well. FYI in this test i have to compete with Ruckus equipment and i have to admit it that they have very good coverage. I will make a new discussion about this to avoid mess in this discussion. Thanks once again !!!!

best regards,

Yedi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card