Views
Helpful
Replies

mac address limitation in WLC 5508

kamlenegi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can any one tell me how many maximum mac addresses we can import in WLC 5508 and what is the shortest way to import bulk mac addresses in WLC.

Thanks

Kamlesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Creating a MAC-based ACL is not really a smart thing of doing things.  I mean, this is "acceptable" when dealing with a small network, like for home use. 

For enterprise, MAC-based ACL is really a dumb way of doing things.  

By the way, there is a big fat flaw with MAC-based ACL:  All one need is a MAC address of one of the clients.  Another thing, as a network administrator it is NOT easy to manage 100 MAC addresses, let alone 2,000.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can any one tell me how many maximum mac addresses we can import

What are you trying to accomplish?

what is the shortest way to import bulk mac addresses in WLC.

Use CLI.

Hi Leo,

Client want mac filtering in PSK ssid, so may the count of mac addresses would be more than 2000.

Thanks

Kamlesh

Creating a MAC-based ACL is not really a smart thing of doing things.  I mean, this is "acceptable" when dealing with a small network, like for home use. 

For enterprise, MAC-based ACL is really a dumb way of doing things.  

By the way, there is a big fat flaw with MAC-based ACL:  All one need is a MAC address of one of the clients.  Another thing, as a network administrator it is NOT easy to manage 100 MAC addresses, let alone 2,000.  

Hi Leo,

You are right, client initially want mac filtering till the radius server ready for authentication. My question is mac filtering should be based on AP license, if I have 25 AP license so box should support approx. 2500 mac addresses, 100 per ap, if I have 50 AP license then it should support 5000 logically assuming 100 clients per AP.

I have seen only 2048 mac addresses are supported in 5508 WLC.

Thanks

Kamlesh

Yea the max is 2048 on the Cisco WLC. You can use a radius server to do the mac filter. Check our this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wlan-security/91901-mac-filters-wlcs-config.html 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

BTW .. Im not sure what you mean by MAC filtering is based on ap license. The max you can do is 2048.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin