cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-flapping between both controllers (AIR-CT5508-K9)

jalba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have two WLC in different places and we see that we have mac-flapping between both sites.

In each site we have a port-channel in mode on, and the load-balancing method is src-dst-ip.

What could be the cause?

Site A: Primary WLC

Jun 19 12:28:33.069: %MAC_MOVE-SW1_SP-4-NOTIF: Host xxxxx in vlan xx is flapping between port Po15 and port Po71

Site B: Secondary WLC

Jun 19 12:28:25.679: %MAC_MOVE-4-NOTIF: Host xxxxx in vlan xx is flapping between port Po71 and port Po25

Po71 is the Po that connects with the WLC in each side, and Po15 and Po25 are the interconnections between both sites.

15 Replies 15

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are devices moving from one building to another or roaming from one AP one one WLC to another AP on the other controller? Or are the WLC just in different locations in the same building. If so, that’s why you are seeing these.

You can search the forum and others have posted questions and answers to the map-flapping like what you see.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The WLC are in different places, its not possible to have roaming between them,

WLC are configured with SSO redundancy.

So you have two WLCs in SSO but are in different physical locations in different buildings? You should not see Mac flap unless there was a switchover.
-Scott

Yes, are in different locations and in different buildings, i dont see where its the problem, there is not any loop and only wlc1 its working like primary wlc. Why we see the mac flapping continuosly? in the events of the WLC we dont see any switchover.

Its seems like any client that connects into the network you can see the mac in wlc1 and in wlc2 during some time, if not i dont understand this situation.

Open a TAC case and see what they say. I’m assuming that it’s non-impacting and it’s just annoying seeing the logs.
-Scott

Yes, I suppose that i need to open a case, the only problem is that we dont have log, because all the day this messages are fill all the log buffer.

Regards

TAC would want to look at the messages and the verify the configuration and code.
-Scott

techtommy
Level 4
Level 4

Are any of the AP`s in flexconnect mode?  I recently saw that same experience with a customer that was running Flexconnect.  As the client roamed from one IDF to another, it generated mac flap notifications.

Only a few APs are in flexconnect mode, but the macs are not in these APs, so the problem happens to all the APs, not the flexconnect only.

Regards

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Probably a stupid question, but are you sure they are actually running in SSO and not in standalone mode?

Yes, if you see in the redundancy tap, you can see "SSO" in redundancy state

Ok good. I had this "issue" with those messages too, but with two standalone WLCs. Do you maybe have two different SSIDs setup where the same user can connect to, but is getting a different IP address?
That could cause this, if the client roams from one to another SSID.

The normal situation is that one WLC is managing everything, so its not normal that you see these macs in the secondary WLC.

Because all the APs, SSIDs are in the primary WLC.

It can happen, if you have two SSIDs with different IP ranges and a client hopping between the SSIDs. In those cases, the client will get a new IP address and the load balancing on the Layer2/3 might route him through another interface, but with the same MAC address.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card