Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac users not roaming between Maraki AP

jthombs1016
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I am facing a strange issue  on a deployment of 34 Meraki APs,  Users on site are not roaming  to the nearest AP.

The site is mostly made of mac book pro and Apple and android devices.

There are 5 SSID’s each on there own subnet.  Capacity does not seem to be an issue but a user will sometimes connect to a SSID on the other side of office instead the AP nearest them.

As anybody experienced this issue before ?

Thanks

JT

4 Replies 4

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Are you confusing APs and SSIDs?
"user will sometimes connect to a SSID on the other side of office instead the AP nearest them." if the device has SSID1 at top of their configured SSID list (last connected in case of Apple, varies on Android) then they'll connect to SSID1 even if SSID2 is closer at better signal strength.
On the other if you're saying AP1 and AP2 both have the same SSIDs but it's connecting to the furthest one then you need to work out why. Common scenario is user walks in past AP1 and connects there and hangs on to AP1 even when AP2 is closer. You may need to tune power/coverage to encourage device to roam to closer AP but that's ultimately the device's decision and some devices can be very sticky.

Sorry for the late reply  guys   I am at  Cisco Live this week.

But to answer your question  There is  4 SSID and 32 WAPS.

To add  to the Mistry  the issue only affects the "workstations" SSID. The users are complaining that they get kicked off the SSID and then unable to reconnect. I will try tune the coverage.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I think you also need to understand your environment. If a device has a good signal and good snr, why should it roam to another ap? Now if the issue is that the connection is very bad, that is another thing. If this is an open floor and you have low data rates set, a device can see another ap across the floor with good signal. You should also be aware that device only start to scan for new AP’s when the signal gets poor and only then will the device roam. The device controls the association not the ap. The only way to steer the roaming is to start disabling the data rates to force devices to roam. However, you need to make sure you have enough coverage and overlap. TX power is the other factor you need to look at. Make sure the AP’s power are similar and not one or a few are very high because client devices will tend to associate to those and stay to those longer.
Look up sticky clients also. Apple devices use to have issues, mainly iPhone and iPads on not wanting to roam. That seems to be a lot better these days.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card