Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Number of User in cisco Aironet

yasir shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi....Friend,

Please anyone tell me Maximum number of live user can transfer data at a point  in single cisco aironet or access point 1600/2600/3700.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depends on the situation. Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per WAP, type of traffic also matters, if the type of traffic is mostly emails, web browsing, etc ... then the value can go up to 35 clients per WAP. If the type of traffic is video then the value is around 8 to 10 clients per WAP.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please anyone tell me Maximum number of live user can transfer data at a point  in single cisco aironet or access point 1600/2600/3700.

Friend, 

What are you trying to do/accomplish?

Cisco rule-of-thumb is 25 wireless clients per AP.  But there are a lot of factors which influences the value from going higher or lower.  

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depends on the situation. Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per WAP, type of traffic also matters, if the type of traffic is mostly emails, web browsing, etc ... then the value can go up to 35 clients per WAP. If the type of traffic is video then the value is around 8 to 10 clients per WAP.

Hi,

When referring to clients, I take it that you mean client devices?

Also, with the new 3800 series AP, what would the new video/voice device count per AP be?

The number of client devices per AP, does this include both 5 and 2.4 GHz radios?

What would it look like when dual 5GHz radios per AP are used? no 2.4GHz.

We intend to use Jabber, so how would the voice and video be influenced if jabber runs across a data WLAN?

Thanks in advance.

This is always an interesting topic.  First you need to look at the egress point for all wireless traffic which is 1 gig for the 802.11n and ac access points. Then you need to look at the channel utilization for that AP radio.  Even with the 3802's and dual 5ghz, you still have the egress of 1 gig right now. Dual 5ghz works well if it's not a very high density area like in venues/large event rooms because you will end up running out of channels. We have had large events with up to 35 clients on an access point before folks started to complain of slowness.  Other times we can have 60 plus on the same AP's with no complaints. This is due to the type of users and what they are using the wireless for.  It's best to test yourself to see what works in your environment because how I see it,worst case scenario, I would still like to keep it down to 30 clients per AP no matter what model.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Hello, 

Would you please link us the Cisco official recommendation for this matter? Although I agree with you, my manager wants to see the official recommendation and I could not find one.  

Regards

Babak

You should just research what “others” suggest, because vendors will always say that it can support up to 200 clients, but..... doesn’t mean it works.  Rule of thumb to be safe is 25-30.  You might want to search the Cisco Live sessions on high density to even see if they have something in writing. 

-Scott

He is from my experience... we have an event center in which we had C-level visitors and had more than 50-60 on each AP with no compliantss. What we noticed is that they were not on their laptop working. Then we had sales event and AP’s over 34 clients, your user experience started to drop. Are nd 40 clients it was bad and I was there connecting, so I know. Now we have sites that developers use wireless and when one developer starts a sync or db query, not more than a few before it really gets bad. So you need to look at the current user throughput you have and determine how much bandwidth you really need. Some devices should just stay wired also:)
-Scott

yasir shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot friend

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: