cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of wireless client for 1600, 2600 and 3600 APs

DaveLimKK
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone knows what is the Cisco reccomendation for the maximum number of wireless client each Access Point can support? This is with reference to the new 1600, 2600 and 3600 access points.

Based on the cisco datasheet, the maximum clients that each AP can support for clientlink is 32 for 1600 and 128 for 2600 and 3600. I'm looking for some reccomendation from Cisco. I tried finding it under the design guide but it did not mention anything about this.

I know that Aruba reccomends 30 clients per AP.    

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rule of thumb is 25 clients per AP.

However, it will depend entirely upon what traffic you are expecting.

If you are doing nothing but simple HTML, emails, chat, then this figure can go up to 35.  You want to do HD video then think about going down to 8 clients per AP.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yup, what Leo said:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

u297863AG
Level 1
Level 1

What about this document: 'The New Generation of Cisco Aironet Access' which states that the newer APs can handle up to 200 max clients per radio?

Lets keep in mind the issue here is not the AP, but more the medium (air). You can only fit so many bit in the air at a given time. More clients mean more bits. When 802.11ac comes to maturity you will be able to see higher density becuse you can transfer these bits faster allowing more clients to use the air. So to speak.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

What about this document: 'The New Generation of Cisco Aironet Access' which states that the newer APs can handle up to 200 max clients per radio?

What George has said is one of the main reason why the rule-of-thumb is set this low. 

The document where you quoted were written by Marketing folks and their main objectives is to SELL. 

The rule-of-thumb that George, Steven, Scott and I have noted are PROVEN FACTS and in REAL WORLD SCENARIOS. 

Do you have any whitepapers for the real world scenario that you could share?

Read up on CSMA CA

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo

I bet to differ this is not pure marketing numbers. 

Dave,

Let me help you to  make things easier for you. Lets start with 1600. As per datasheet it support 300 Mbps/radio.

Now we know wireless work on half duplex . 300/2 = 150Mbps. Wifi uses CSMA/CA so 150 Mbps will be shared by all client connect to AP either one of radio. Let to be safe assume it is 5Ghz band radio.

Now let discuss average bandwidth contract for different service.

Full HD video - 5 Mbps

Regular Video - 2.5 Mbps

Data (email/web surfing/etc) 1Mbps

Handheld scanner - 10-15 Kbps

Voice - 12-16 Client per AP at max recomended is 8 client

With available 150 Mbps theoratically with simultaneous access we can have 150/5 = 30 users per AP. Remember when we plan number of client we always consider best experience for support services. Example Voice/HD Video/Regular Video .

Similarly if we have regular video requirement then 150/2.5 = 60 users . At the same time you also have to remember external factors which may downgrade available bandwidth contract per user.

When Cisco document says 200 user at max they may be referring to handheld scanner type of user where at any moment per user bandwidth requirement is limited to Kbps.

This is rule of thumb and applicable to any vendor Access Point. ie You need to consider couple of things before you commit any bandwidth availablity to end your user.

- Service type (Voice/HD Video/Regular video/Data/Scanner)

- Radio band (2.4/5Ghz)

- Floor Noise

- Channel utilization

- User density /Behaviour

Thanks, Kunal

Happy to help you !

Thanks, Kunal

Happy to help you !

Hello Kunal,
Great explanation.

Hello guys,

I have a couple of issues with our current data wireless.

1. some client keep get disconnected from Data wireless, and it says limited access to wireless then I have to go to the wireless network connection, disconnect the client and manually connected to the data. I have tried updated wireless adapters on the client laptop but it still happening, any ideas, advices appreciated.

1. I have 3 Cisco Aironet 2600 Series Access Points in one area.

First AP is outside of the meeting room, second one is above the meeting room/second floor, and the third one is about 20 meters away from the first one. There are walls between the APs.

The problem is when the client trying to connect to the data wireless they connect to AP2 which is 20 meters away from the client and have two physical walls between them, then after a while it gets disassociated then it connects to the AP3 above the meeting room/second floor. Nevertheless, it completely misses AP1 that is just next to the meeting room.

Can anyone tell me why the client keep gets disconnected please?

Thanks,

Star

Hi Star
Please open a fresh thread for this.
Regarding question 1: could be firmware related, which version is running
regarding question 2: could be a wrong configuration on AP1, please post the configuration if they are autonomous.
Please post answers in a new thread.

Hello Patoberli,

Thank you for the reply.

Answer you first question the APs version is

Primary Software Version  8.0.121.0

Backup Software Version 3.0.51.0

Boot Version
IOS Version
Mini IOS Version

Answer question 2,

the APs are LWAP not autonomous.

thank you,

Regards,

Star

8.0.121.0 is a fairly old release, with several known security issues. I recommend you upgrade to 8.0.152.0. This will also fix some bugs you might have had in the past.
You will find here all the release notes of all newer versions: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/products-release-notes-list.html

Regarding the radios question, a modern AP has a 2.4 and a 5 GHz radio. They work independently of each other and provide networking services for the clients. The wireless standard 802.11ac (the current) is running solely on 5 GHz radios. Your APs (the x600 series) don't support 802.11ac though. There are still clients sold which only offer 802.11n on 2.4 GHz, because of this you require both radios. The highest speeds are only achievable on 5 GHz though.
You find here some more good theory: https://www.networkworld.com/article/2272293/lan-wan/chapter-1--introduction-to-wireless-networking-concepts.html

Hello Patoberli,

thank you for the explanation I will have a look at the links.

thank you for taking your time to reply.

Regards,

Star

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: