Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS Values

terrywatson651
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I carried out some iperf performance tests over a Cisco WLAN.  As part of the tests I recorded the connection speed of the client to the WLC.  Afterwards I noted something unusal.  For many of the 5GHz tests the WLC reproted a connection speed of M9 SS2 on a 40MHz bonded connection.  If I refer to an MCS table I get a value of either 54Mbps or 60Mbps depending on the Guard Interval.  If I am generous and say the throughput is 50% of the connection speed, at best we could expect a throughput of 30Mbps.  However my throughput tests showed download to the client of up to 190Mbps.

I am running 8510 HA Controller Pair on version 8.3.102.0. and most APs connected to were 3702i.

The only answer is that I misinterpreting the speed vlaue as shown in the Controller, do we know if Cisco have there own MCS chart showing the actual speed represented by their M values?  Either that or am I fundamentally misinterpreting something.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michaelblum
Level 1
Level 1

are you running an 11ac client and AP by any chance.

MCS9 2SS 11ac gives you above 300Mbps. 

MCS9 2SS 11n only gives you the mentioned 54 or 60Mbps

http://www.wlanpros.com/mcs-index-802-11n-802-11ac-chart-3/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

michaelblum
Level 1
Level 1

are you running an 11ac client and AP by any chance.

MCS9 2SS 11ac gives you above 300Mbps. 

MCS9 2SS 11n only gives you the mentioned 54 or 60Mbps

http://www.wlanpros.com/mcs-index-802-11n-802-11ac-chart-3/

terrywatson651
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Michael, that makes a lot more sense, yes I was running an 11ac connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card