Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki WiFi Setup

For only about 50 users I will build a WiFi network using Meraki AP's and possibly catalyst switches. Any recommendations on Catalyst switches? I'm thinking 2900 series PoE.

The MS225 and MS250 Meraki Switches below on Meraki website. It makes it seem as if you use the MS225 you cant browse the web or have voice and video go through it??

MS225
General purpose deployments                         
Secure LAN connectivity
MS250
General purpose deployments       
Secure LAN connectivity
Basic voice and video, internet browsing
Hardware options for redundancy

Also, for a small office of 4-5 access points, what would the benefit of MR42 have over MR33, wouldn't the MR33 be suffice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you use PoE switches, so you can power the access points.  Use a 2960-X (so you have 802.3at PoE support) or either Meraki switch.

The MS225 has very basic layer 3 support (maximum 16 routes from memory).  I'm going to guess you need no layer 3 support, so it will do everything you need.

The MS250 can have a redundant power supply added, supports OSPF, and can handle a huge number of MAC addresses in its CAM table (which you won't need).

Go with the MS225.  Note they are going up in price at the end of July ...

For commercial offices I use the MR42 99% of the time.  They have a 3x3 MIMO radio.  They handle interference and weak signals better.

The MR33 is a 2x2 MIMO radio.  I typically use it for guest WiFi or in retail outlets.

In perfect conditions you will get the same throughput from each from a single client.  If the conditions are not great (aka lots of other WiFi networks or lots of interference) the MR42 will perform better.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you use PoE switches, so you can power the access points.  Use a 2960-X (so you have 802.3at PoE support) or either Meraki switch.

The MS225 has very basic layer 3 support (maximum 16 routes from memory).  I'm going to guess you need no layer 3 support, so it will do everything you need.

The MS250 can have a redundant power supply added, supports OSPF, and can handle a huge number of MAC addresses in its CAM table (which you won't need).

Go with the MS225.  Note they are going up in price at the end of July ...

For commercial offices I use the MR42 99% of the time.  They have a 3x3 MIMO radio.  They handle interference and weak signals better.

The MR33 is a 2x2 MIMO radio.  I typically use it for guest WiFi or in retail outlets.

In perfect conditions you will get the same throughput from each from a single client.  If the conditions are not great (aka lots of other WiFi networks or lots of interference) the MR42 will perform better.

Philip,

Thanks for the in-depth reply. What 2960 switch would you recommend for PoE for the Meraki AP's?

How many ports do you need?

48 ports PoE. Thank you.

For up to 24 access points being plugged into the switch, WS-C2960X-48LPS-L.  If more than 24 access points then WS-C2960X-48FPS-L.

its actually only a few access points and the 2960's might be to much. Any other suggestion on a switch that would be able to handle the Merakis?

Meraki MS220P-8.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms220-8

You could also go for the larger MS225-24P.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms225-24

Make sure you get the models with "P" in the name (P=PoE).

Im in the USA. its about 30-40 users, might grow some. I just see the 2960X series so expensive.

Which country are you in?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card