Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from WISM-1 to 5508

Chance Casas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello group,

We are currently upgrading from WISM-1's to individual 5508 WLC's. Is it possible to export the config from controller on the WISM to the 5508?

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can search this forum as to how other have gone about this... I will try to sum it up.

Make sure the existing WLC and the new WLC is on the same code... has to be 7.0.x

• You can backup the configuration from the WiSM and open it up in notepad
  • Make changes to your ip address and hostnames
  • Delete the username and password since it is hashed
  • Replace the management username to

config mgmtuser add read-write

• Make sure there is a trailing space at the end of the command!!!!!
  • Remove any line you wish
  • Go through the startup script for the WLC5508
  • Perform a restore to the WLC5508 from the config you edited

CISCO TAC DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the answer, Scott. I will give this a try.

It works.... just give it a try because you can always factory default the 5508.  The management username is what gets corrupted when you upload it when its hashed.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Appreciate the help Scott. Currently running backups of both controllers, will import configs into text file and edit and upload.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott Fella,

We need to do migration from WISM to WLC 5520, can you help me on the same. As I checked wlc 5520 last image support is 8.x and WISM is 7.x , in that case if we try to export the configuration from WISM and import it to WLC 5520 , so it will support ?

Additions to can AP lic transfer is also supported from WiSM to 5508 Controller.

Current WiSM-1 is with ver 7.0.98

Also if it is not possible then can we transfer the WiSM1 image with all AP lic to a VM Machine and then upgrade it to 7.4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card