Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration strategy from CAPWAP to Flexconnect for limited SSIDs

Cloud2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am planing for wireless migration from CAPWAP to flex-connect, we confused for few things.

We have 1 central and 4 remote sites currently working in CAPWAP and client broadcasting 13 SSID into almost all APs.

Now they want me to move 4 main SSIDs into local switching via flex-connect for 3 sites and want to keep Central switching for 1 remote site. Also want existing 9 SSID for those 3 site which are already centrally switched.

So how can i achieve this:)

if i change settings for existing WLAN SSIDs on WLC, (enable flexconnect) will that impact other sites which has to remain in Central switching mode?

if flex-connect mode is enabled on AP, will that AP be able to broadcast and support non-flex WLAN SSID as required? if yes, then how?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

We have 1 central and 4 remote sites currently working in CAPWAP and client broadcasting 13 SSID into almost all APs.

This is really bad situation to be. If your wireless performance is not that well, don't be surprise. When you have that many SSIDs, most of airtime will consumed by management traffic such as beacon frames. See below. You have to first understand why this many SSIDs could not work in a given environment & then explain it to your employer.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html

Prior to changing Local mode to FlexConnect, you have to reduce number of SSIDs

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

The only thing you should have to do is enable Flexconnect local switching on the CAPWAP and client broadcasting are enable the Flexconnect APs for local switching as well. There is no need for a second WLAN.

Enabling local switching on a WLAN does not affect APs that are in local mode--it only allows the SSID to be locally switched by the APs that are configured for it.

You will need to go to either the flexconnect group or the AP itself and enable VLAN support. This allows the AP to perform SSID tagging on its local interface so that the traffic can be switched locally (i.e. not tunneled back to the controller as in local mode).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

This is really bad situation to be. If your wireless performance is not that well, don't be surprise. When you have that many SSIDs, most of airtime will consumed by management traffic such as beacon frames. See below. You have to first understand why this many SSIDs could not work in a given environment & then explain it to your employer.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html

Prior to changing Local mode to FlexConnect, you have to reduce number of SSIDs

HTH

Rasika

Thank you for the help

Client is agree cut down the SSIDs, now we are broadcasting total 6 SSID, 4 in Flex local switching and 2 will remain CAPWAP.

we have 5 remote sites and 1 site will be migrated as pilot .

so the confusion is if we change the setting for existing 4 SSID (Flex local switching) will that case issue for other 4 sites which will be migrated later ??? (Changing the setting for existing  will global change)

How about if i create 4 new identical SSIDs with same security set instead of touching existing ones?

is that possible? if yes, then how

Controller is 5520 and AP are AIR-CAP27021-S-K9

Migration Steps:

Switch end configuration:-

ØConfigure VLANs on core switches for respective SSIDs per site and set DHCP server

ØIdentify SW ports for all APs, set them as trunk and allow VLAN for SSIDs

ØNeed allow VLANs on all uplinks for respective SSIDs

WLC and AP end configuration:-

ØEnable local switching on existing 4 SSIDs  NOT on 2 SSIDS which will work on CAPWAP mode

ØCreate AP group, Add access point as well as required SSID into it

ØEnable flex local switching on access point

ØCreate Flex-connect Group for every site, add APs and map the VLAN for respective sites

ØTest with local support/user

we have 5 remote sites and 1 site will be migrated as pilot .

so the confusion is if we change the setting for existing 4 SSID (Flex local switching) will that case issue for other 4 sites which will be migrated later ??? (Changing the setting for existing  will global change)

Enabling "FlexConnect local Switching" has no impact on Local mode AP. It will take effect once you change AP mode to FlexConnect.

I would suggest pick one SSID & enable "FlexConnect Local Switching", then move one site single AP to FlexConnect & see you can verify traffic is locally terminated & works as expected.

Read this FlexConnect Design Guide for different features available with FlexConnect

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/Enterprise-Mobility-8-5-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-5_Deployment_Guide/ch7_HREA.html

Below link also provide some useful deployment guidelines

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-7/Flex_7500_DG.html

HTH

Rasika

The only thing you should have to do is enable Flexconnect local switching on the CAPWAP and client broadcasting are enable the Flexconnect APs for local switching as well. There is no need for a second WLAN.

Enabling local switching on a WLAN does not affect APs that are in local mode--it only allows the SSID to be locally switched by the APs that are configured for it.

You will need to go to either the flexconnect group or the AP itself and enable VLAN support. This allows the AP to perform SSID tagging on its local interface so that the traffic can be switched locally (i.e. not tunneled back to the controller as in local mode).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card