cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express AP1832i disable splash screen?

skartashev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, we have a completely stupid situation with the guest network.
When users temporarily leaves office WiFi coverage (smoke break, usually :-)), they return inside and the guest network re-requests authorization (splash page, click "connect"). No one notices this and uses traffic through mobile communications.
Question: can we just turn off this authorization screen and let anyone who has the SSID / password set in their cell phone to connect automatically, without any additional authorization?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've re-created this net as "Enterprise" type with password instead if "Guest" type

Its works, no splash screen, everyone happy  :-) 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can try to enable the sleeping client feature. This will cache the session of a logged in device from hours to up to 30 days. Just search for the command on Google for the version of code you are running or look at the configuration guide.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, Scott!

Will use it as temporary solution, but I need to completely get rid of this splash screen.

Can we permanently disable this "press connect button" check?

To be honest, if you don’t want to see the splash screen, just create an open ssid with no portal. With any portal, you need to have the user hit a button to move forward. If you know html, you can create a custom portal page that will present and automatically send the button click to move on without users having to manually hit the button. That is different as users would expect to either just get on or have to hit accept to get on the wireless. We don’t use a portal page anymore because it’s easier for users to get on with an open ssid. User experience is better that way also because they are not trying to figure out the portal.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I've re-created this net as "Enterprise" type with password instead if "Guest" type

Its works, no splash screen, everyone happy  :-) 

Hi Scott,

old post but I hope you are still around :).

I have the same situation with an additional question...

I don't want my guests go to the splash page to accept the terms, because once they go outside and come back, they have to log-in again (same situation as skartashev).

You are saying, just use an open SSID. but wouldn't guests then be able to open the Admin Page? which i see as a security risk?

therefor I'm not using the <Guest> Network at the moment, but instead I'm using a normal Network just with other SSID and Password (open SSID would be misused by my neighbors...).

but I'm still afraid now that someone could get into the Admin Area?

Some Screenshots of the settings attached.

skartashev
Level 1
Level 1

@Frisk1 , as i mentioned above:

Re-create this SSID  as "Enterprise" type with "password authorization" instead of "Guest" type
AFAIK, In general, there is no differences in functionality between password-authenntificated "Guest" and "Enterprise", except flash screen and no special benefits for admin area access etc. 

Take care!

@skartashev 

I'm having the CBW140AC (Cisco Business Wireless 140AC Access Point) in case this makes a difference.

Please have a look a the picture:

2021-07-20 13_16_23-Erdgeschoss und 1 weitere Seite - [InPrivate] – Microsoft​ Edge.png

you mean the <Security Type: WPA2 Enterprise>? there i se no Password-Authentication.

AFAIK, In general, there is no differences in functionality between password-authenntificated "Guest" and "Enterprise", except flash screen and no special benefits for admin area access etc. 

But when this is the case, that would mean everyone in your network - knowing your Admin User&Password - could login to the admin area? Can't believe that's the case? there must be a way to restrict an SSID completly from entering the Admin Area?

Sorry in Case I'm mixing up things.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card