cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express without a switch

sasha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Is it possible to connect two Mobility Express APs without a switch, i.e. just using a cable? I'm trying to do that with a pair of 1850s, both AIR‑AP1852I‑E‑K9C. It seems that, if anything is connected to AP's LAN port, it expects to receive an IPv4 address via that port, although ME is already configured!?! So it keeps "Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration". Thanks and best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sasha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I've done it. We have to use a switch and an external DHCP server for initial setup - for some reason, second AP can't get IP address from internal DHCP server on first AP's ME. But when both APs join ME, set their IP addresses to static through ME. From that point on, we don't need external DHCP server, so we can connect APs directly. Best regards.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As per my knowledge you have to use a swicth to connect ME APs.

Means You cant connect directly.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

sasha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I've done it. We have to use a switch and an external DHCP server for initial setup - for some reason, second AP can't get IP address from internal DHCP server on first AP's ME. But when both APs join ME, set their IP addresses to static through ME. From that point on, we don't need external DHCP server, so we can connect APs directly. Best regards.

Hi

I have the same issue however in my case I only have one ME 1832i for testing. I went through the initial configuration wizard and set up the WLC management ip, the "Test" SSID and the rest of the configuration. I did not enable the optional DHCP.

Then after the reboot the "Test" SSID never showed up. I then connected to the console on the AP and saw this same message "Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration" going on and on and after that it returned me the Controller prompt and that was it. There seem to be no way for me to assign static IP to the AP that is also active as WLC. So I guess the AP itself needs and IP address from external DHCP and there is no way to do without? Or should I enable internal DHCP on the WLC in order for it to server IPs to APs?

Hi. As far as I have seen, you must have a DHCP server for initial configuration. If there's just one AP, you can use internal DHCP server, if there's more than one (moreover, if anything is connected to AP's LAN port), you must use external DHCP server. But once you finish initial configuration, you can assign static addresses to APs and continue working without DHCP. Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card