cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move WCS DB to another drive on same server?

mmletzko
Level 1
Level 1

The WCS server's C drive, where WCS is installed and the DB is stored, is running out of disk.  Most of the disk being used is the WCS db, so there are few options to free up space.  I ran a "dbadmin -info defrag" to see how much space would free up from a defrag - for the 20gb db it was about 2gb.  Running a defrag would help by reducing it 10%, but we need something longer term.

Wondering if the WCS database can be moved from the C drive to the D drive on the same server, which has much more available disk.  Or, could WCS be uninstalled and reinstalled on the D drive?

I couldn't find any documentation on moving the DB.  What options are available?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about moving the DB, but you can always perform a backup of the database and install a fresh copy of WCS on another partition or server if you wanted. You just have to keep the hostname the same due to the license being tied to the WCS hostname. Then you can restore the DB to the new WCS server.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about moving the DB, but you can always perform a backup of the database and install a fresh copy of WCS on another partition or server if you wanted. You just have to keep the hostname the same due to the license being tied to the WCS hostname. Then you can restore the DB to the new WCS server.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks for the input Scott.  If installing on the same server (different drive), and then restoring, would any licenses be part of the restore?  Or would they all need to be re-installed after the restore?

No... you would need to reinstall the license. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you to perform some backup task for C drive. After that again you can re-install WCS on the backup server.

Then you need to re-install the license in the WCS.

At last the WCS database can be moved from the C drive to the D drive on the same server, which has much more available disk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card