cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

MSE, upgrade: kernel panic (.iso)

Hello!

I faced the problem during the upgrade from MSE 7.2.110 to 7.4.100.

All steps were done according to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse7_4_100_0.html#wp1244719

on step 8 I uninstalled the existing software with the command:

cd /opt/mse/uninstall

./unistall

After that I tried to iniate the install process of MSE 7.4 bin file.

After several time reboot the system went to kernel panic. It was seen from monitor, plugged to MSE, not in the console from serial cable.

Is it possible to recover the MSE or find any .iso file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Master

You would need to open a TAC case and they can provide you with a recovery image. I would thing that you will need to reinstall the MSE software using the image TAC provides.

I never perform the uninstall. Just the install and then I delete the old files.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Master

You would need to open a TAC case and they can provide you with a recovery image. I would thing that you will need to reinstall the MSE software using the image TAC provides.

I never perform the uninstall. Just the install and then I delete the old files.

-Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Scott, thank you for the answer!

I will contact the cisco TAC

About uninstall:

After several attempts of upgrading the MSE I also realized, that there is no need to uninstall the existing software.

Nevertheless, why Cisco recommends to uninstall it?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse7_4_100_0.html#wp1244719

Step 8 Uninstall the existing MSE software. Choose deletion of database when prompted.

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Master

Yes they might, but look what happened! Now next time you upgrade, you will remember to skip that section. I tested that in a vMSE in my lab and also failed when booting up. So if you have a vMSE, perform a snapshot and try to uninstall it again since you can revert back. An appliance on the other hand, well... Now you have to spend a couple hours to get it working again.

-Scott