Helpful
Replies

MSE VA failing to start

martyn.rees
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Got a bit of a strange one here.

MSE is a virtual appliance (7.2) that is a fresh install. When starting up it boots to the logon prompt and then you get:

Cisco Mobility Services engine

mse login: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/sbin/yum-updatesd", Line 40, in ?

import gamin

ImportError: No module named gamin

If you hit enter it takes you to the logon prompt and you can log in and complete the setup.

After the setup has completed I rebooted the MSE (still got the same error above), and logged back in. I then ran /etc/init.d/msed start and get the following result:

Starting MSE Platform

Starting Health Monitor, Waiting to check the status.

Starting Health Monitor, Waiting to check the status.

Health Monitor successfully started

Starting Admin process...

Started Admin process.

Starting database ..............

Database started successfully. Starting framework and services ..............

If I then run /etc/init.d/msed status (or getserverinfo) then all I get is the following:

Health Monitor is running

Starting MSE Platform, Waiting to check the status.

Eventually this fails after 20 odd entries and returns you back to the prompt.

If I try to browse to the https interface then it doesn't seem to be running, and nothing seems to respond. I have even redownloaded the OVA and re-installed but got the same result.

Is there something I have missed in the setup or am I going nuts?

15 Replies 15

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you installed the ova, did you make any ajustments to the hardware requirements on the VM?  I have only seen that if you try to adjust the hardware requirements prior to the install.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The only adjustments made were to change the resources back down to a small deployment rather than a large by default.

I also tried leaving everything but the CPU as default, as the system that it is running on doesn't support 8 CPU's per vm.

When I run the MSE ova, I install it as is. I just run the ova and do the install, no changes until it installs. I have had no issue that way. If I make changes prior to the install, then I have issue. So don't make any changes when doing the install. The CPU is virtual anyways.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Andrew Vlasek
Level 1
Level 1

I am running into the same issue did Scott's suggestions fix your issue? If so please posted what worked for you in detail.

Thanks,

Andrew

I haven't had the time to look at this too much more the last couple of weeks as I've been flat out in a deployment, and this is only for our internal lab.

But the other site that I did try it on just started working after it was re-deployed agin. Didn't seem to be any reason for it, but it came up with the gamin error again, but then started the services ok.

All,

I am seeing a similar behavior as Martyn. After login and start of the MSE, running the "/etc/init.d/msed status" command results in a loop where the system reports "Starting MSE Platform, Waiting to check the status" and never gets past this.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

cperkins2
Level 1
Level 1

We're having the same issue here. With two different versions of MSE.

We've tried 7.2.110.0 and 7.3.101.0.

Both have the following:

Cisco Mobility Services engine

mse login: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/sbin/yum-updatesd", Line 40, in ?

import gamin

ImportError: No module named gamin

Regards,

Chris

I believe the issues is most cosmetic due to how the OVA is setup... trying to remember I think our redhat guru just hid the error. There is also another cosmetic issue having to do with the redhat build in updater which is not really used.

Andrew

I faced similar issues with my virtual MSE - I was able to resolve them by changing the vm nic's adapter type from "vmxnet" to "E1000".

regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Do you change the vm nic's adapter in vSphere Client ?

By remove the exist and add a new one, right ?

Regards,

Pongsatorn

Yes.

hogoqo
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem but running on an appliance. Communication between PI 1.3 amd MSE just failed one morning. Had HA configured on my MSE. Tried to failover but failed. On accessing the primary MSE, i get the same issue. Defaulted the configuration and started all over without HA and it still fails. Gonna open a TAC case and see what they find.

I have the same problem as Martyn.rees.

How have you resolved?

Need more info. Let us know what platform and code version and also what the output for the status is:

/etc/init.d/msed status

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: