cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi region WiFi program ability of APs

steve.blunt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who wishes to utilise a "mobile" WiFi platform to provide temporary coverage within differing WiFi RF regulatory regions i.e. Europe, Japan, North and South America, Australia/Asia PAC. The solution would be purchased in Europe but would be transported globally as needed. The solution would be controller based (5520) and ideally use outdoor rated APs (AIR-AP1562D-E-K9). I'm concerned that the AP's may have their regulatory domain "burnt" in, so will not support the necessity to be reprogrammed dependant upon where they are physically in use. Can any one qualify please? If there is an issue with the AIR-AP1562D-E-K9, is there another viable option using cost effective outdoor rated APs or even say 2802E deployed in IP56 rated containment

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hi @steve.blunt

A basic answer would be you need to buy AP according to each Regulatory Domain and you are right when you say it is hard coded. You can't change after install.

You can select different Country on the WLC but if AP belongs to a different regulatory domain you'll be out of compliance with the local regulatory domain.

However, Cisco launched sometimes ago an UX Regulatory Domain which should fit for all Countries.

I failed trying to find if new 1500 APs support such thing. But, I recommend you to dig on it so that you can avoid trouble.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.- 

Thanks, will do!

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

I failed trying to find if new 1500 APs support such thing. But, I recommend you to dig on it so that you can avoid trouble.

Cisco has put the entire -UX scheme on "hold".   Only the 2700/3700 have "-UX".  

The reason why this is on "hold" because of politics from the US FCC which made the rollout of the "-UX" difficult.  

Thanks, it seems that only the UX APs still manufactured are the 37/2700 series.

@steve.blunt wrote:

Thanks, it seems that only the UX APs still manufactured are the 37/2700 series.

Only the 2700/3700 will come with "-UX" Regulatory Domain.  The newer 1800/2800/3800 (including 3800H) won't have a "-UX" offer.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card