cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on Wireless

Victor Fabian
Level 1
Level 1

I recently enabled multicast on  the wireless to a VLAN that only has one SSID(Private) but for some  reason when i go to monitor>multicast on the controller i see that  there are other clients on the from another multicast group from another VLAN (Guest)  which i didnt enable multicast on and it doesnt have the same SSID as  the other one.

I was wondering if this suppose to work this way.

Thank you

Vic

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is the IGMP list that you are seeing, so any IGMP request the WLC heard is going to be listed.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

you coud ACL off the interfaces that you dont' want multicast on, and deny any 239.x.x.x in/out

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is the IGMP list that you are seeing, so any IGMP request the WLC heard is going to be listed.

HTH,
Steve

Stephen,

Is there way to filter that ?, because all that multicast traffic is getting to the CORE like the SSDP traffic using the 239.255.255.250 address.

Thank you

Vic

you coud ACL off the interfaces that you dont' want multicast on, and deny any 239.x.x.x in/out

HTH,
Steve

Thanks, will do that.

Do you suggest to apply the ACL on the controllers or from the CORE ?

Victior. personally Im not a fan of ACLs on the WLC. I would put it on the wired side... If you havent done a ACL on a controller before... Its a big PITA..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin