Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSID in Aironet 1140

alexageorge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using a Aironet 1100 series access point (AIR-AP1142N-N-K9) with IOS version c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JA1. I want to create two seperate SSID's on the access point with WEP encryption. There is no VLAN configured and i want it to be like it. Also I need to broadcast both the SSID's at the same time, so the some of my users need to login with the first SSID and the others to login through the other.

Regards,

Alex George

4 Replies 4

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Alex,

I'm afraid this is not going to be possible unless we tag VLANs in order to properly segregate the traffic for your two SSIDs. Otherwise, I am not sure what the point is of having two SSID's on the same subnet.  If that is the case, please clarify what you are ultimately trying to achieve with that kind of setup.

-Erwin

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alex,

According to Cisco documentation you can not have two ssid's configured with same VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43ssid.html..

Below output is taken from 1130AG access point when trying to configure 2 ssid's on the same vlan

ap(config)#dot11 ssid guest

ap(config-ssid)#vlan 1

Warning: Vlan 1 already mapped to SSID home. SSIDs with same vlan association cannot be attached to the same interface.

ap(config-ssid)#

On top of this you can not have WEP enabled on a 802.11n series access point as far i know.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These sections contain configuration information for multiple SSIDs:

•Default SSID Configuration

•Creating an SSID Globally

•Using a RADIUS Server to Restrict SSIDs

For more information please refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/12-4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1/scg12421aJA1-chap7-mbssid.html

Nicholas Darrow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With autonomous hardware you don't have alot of options. You can have a different SSID on each radio that maps to the same VLAN(or untagged) but if you want to have two SSID's you either need to use regular VLAN mapping or MBSSID's which still require multiple VLANs.

There's really just no point in running two SSID's mapping to the same network. You can use 2.4ghz for one and 5ghz for the other, or use a second AP.

Sure you could probably use radius AAA override but now you're way overcomplicating something that should be simple. Let us know your objective and we can help.

_Nico

CCIEW #38552

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card