cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple types of AP Models usinf LWAPP

jonhill
Level 1
Level 1

Our install of Cisco's WLC system is using 1010 AP's and this has been setup in the Vender Specific INfo in DHCP we have now purchsade some 1130's but I'm having problems getting them to see the WLC. I think I've put the 1130 into vendor specific info correctly but it won't pickup any controller.

Could someone show me the layout of Vender Specfic Info for multiple AP modesl and also any other suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Jon

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jon,

See if this link helps you

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig41/c41lwap.htm#wp1105242

If you have configured the right vendor specific info then can you attach ether real capture of AP port?

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I've connected myself to the AP and it's getting an IP address but a namep lookup is continually scrolling through it's trying to resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER with DNS, there's no entry for tis name.

I didn't think I needed to have DNS configured if I was using DHCP?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

Do not worry about those messages as they will keep coming up. AP can also join controller using DNS but if you are using option 43 then you do not need DNS.

Also is it possible to sniff the port on which AP is connected and attach it here so that we can find what is returned in option 43 feild in DHCP packets.

Regards,

Ankur

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to use the vendor specific info in DHCP you need to use a separate subnet for each type of access point. I think it is not very good idea. So I use the option 43 only without the option 60. I use 1242 and 1131 on four controllers.

Could you give me further details of configuring DHCP with only Option 43 for our 1130's, we currenlty have a resonably large deployment of 1010's but are moving towards the 1130's.

Thanks

Jon

Oh, sorry, my fault. While 1130 needs hex format of the option 43, 1010 needs ASCII. So it is not possible to use only one as I have written. But you still have a few more ways. Firstly - use separate subnet/DHCP scope for different types of AP. Secondly use the DNS as somebody wrote. Moreover you should have configured a primary/secondary/tertiary controller on running APs. They don't need the opt.43 all the time. This is only for APs without the static controller config. So let 1010s run and switch the opt.43 to the hex format for newly deployed 1130s.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card