Views
Helpful
Replies

N+1 on Permanent AP Count 2504 WLC

joagusti.v1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a customer with two existing 2504 WLC each with 25 AP licenses. Now they are adding more APs and only bought additional AP license for the Primary only. I suggested to change their setup to N+1 so they no longer need to buy another license.

1. How do I do it Primary WLC GUI? I understand that you need to enter below command in CLI but how about in GUI which most clients prefer?

config advanced backup-controller primary backup_controller_name

backup_controller_IP_address

2. Does enabling "HA SKU secondary unit" on the Secondary WLC do the trick? Any other config needed?

3. After 90 days, what will happen to the APs connected to the Secondary WLC? Will they be dropped or a warning will only appear?

Appreciate prompt response.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct. If you have WLC version 7.5 or higher then you can convert 2nd WLC to HA model.

You will just need to buy AP adder license from primary WLC.

Here is the post to configure N+1 on Cisco 2504 WLC:

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

1. How do I do it Primary WLC GUI? I understand that you need to enter below command in CLI but how about in GUI which most clients prefer?

You dont need to enter any command on primary . You just need to run this command on secondary WLC "

(WLC2) >config redundancy unit secondary

"

2. Does enabling "HA SKU secondary unit" on the Secondary WLC do the trick? Any other config needed?

same as point 1.

3. After 90 days, what will happen to the APs connected to the Secondary WLC? Will they be dropped or a warning will only appear?

You will just get warning in log messages.No drop.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

joagusti.v1
Level 1
Level 1

P.S.

Both controllers are AIR-CT2504-K9 and are at version 8.1.131 with 25 AP license each. And I understand that the Secondary WLC should run at least Release 7.5 to be configured as N+1. Any more additional requirement?

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct. If you have WLC version 7.5 or higher then you can convert 2nd WLC to HA model.

You will just need to buy AP adder license from primary WLC.

Here is the post to configure N+1 on Cisco 2504 WLC:

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

You dont need to enter any command on primary . You just need to run this command on secondary WLC "

(WLC2) >config redundancy unit secondary

"

same as point 1.

You will just get warning in log messages.No drop.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the answers for the questions. So on item number 2, enabling "HA SKU secondary unit" under Controller > General is the same as entering config redundancy unit secondary?

yes. Its same.

Regards

Dont forget to rate all helpful posts

Thank you! Will rate once everything works fine ;)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card