Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with Flexconnect

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Need you help to configure Flex connect. Not able to find any document which can describe this feature in full.

Basically my setup is as below

5508 -->  3750  --> 3560 --> Access Point

Few questions :

I have vlan 400 as management vlan on my switches can I use this vlan as a native vlan between the trunk connections from WLC through to 3560 ?

As soon as I change my access point port to trunk with native vlan configured the ap gets disconnected ? Why is that ? Even if I dont use native vlan and just use trunk the AP gets disconnected.

I am running version 8 on wlc and there is no option to define native vlan under WLC Flexconnect tab. Do I need to enable anything else for this ?

Could someone please help me out.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

I have vlan 400 as management vlan on my switches can I use this vlan as a native vlan between the trunk connections from WLC through to 3560 ?

I would recommend to use any other dummy vlan as native vlan across trunk links. If you make vlan 400 as native, then that traffic will not be tagged. Make sure 5508 management is not on the native vlan.

As soon as I change my access point port to trunk with native vlan configured the ap gets disconnected ? Why is that ? Even if I dont use native vlan and just use trunk the AP gets disconnected

Let's say AP management is on vlan 300. Then your switchport configuration should be look like this. Make sure vlan 300 defined on transit switches and proper DHCP pool define for that.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/X 
description AP-X
switchport trunk native vlan 300 
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk 

I am running version 8 on wlc and there is no option to define native vlan under WLC Flexconnect tab. Do I need to enable anything else for this ?

You have to first enable FlexConnect Local switching on a wlan prior to map it on to FlexConnect AP. Refer this link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasika for the reply. I will try it tomorrow and will post the results.

One question the dummy native vlan does it needs to be on all the links going between the switches and upto the WLC ? Also on the switch where AP is connected, do I need to create a layer 3 interface for this native vlan or not ?

Thanks very much for your help.

I would normally keep a dummy vlan as native vlan across my switch network and same goes to WLC-SW trunk.

Regarding FlexConnect AP management, I would that vlan as native management on switchports you configured as trunk to connect those AP.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card