cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No UNII-2 Channel Usage

cbradt
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at channel usage on 3 different controllers and see on all three that the UNII-1, 2 and 3 channels are available for DCA to assign (not the UNII-2 Extended).  When I look at the APs on those controllers I see maybe a half dozen out of 500 or so using the UNII-2. 

Trying to understand why this is and if there is a setting I'm missing that would allow these to be used more.  In one instance I'd like to use UNII-2 more than UNII-1 for the increased TX power.

Any input appreciated ... thanks.

1 Reply 1

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Before you are going to change the configuration you need to keep in mind what your clients support. For example some clients only support UNII-1 or UNII-3 due to decision by the vendor or regulation. Besides that more power might sound nice but can do more harm than good if the power on the client side does not match up. If this is not the case "on way" issue might show up which means that the access-point can reach the client, but the client not the access-point.

It depends on your deployment but you can always use RF profiles and deselect some UNII-1 channels, but I strongly advice you to do some research upfront. Last but not least: the post-deployment site survey should be leading and provide guidance regarding which power-levels to use.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card