Views
Helpful
Replies

Off Channel Scanning with QoS on SSID used by voice phones and laptops

jayage
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are using 5508 WLCs with 8.5.140.0. As we want to decrease the amount of SSIDs we would like to merge our voice and the regular laptop computer SSIDs. We would use ISE to place the wifi phones in a separate vlan and set the Platinum QoS. We got RF grouping (auto 600 secs), TPC (every 600 secs) and DCA (12 hour interval!) enabled. We really don't want to decrease the performance of our wifi connected laptops and this is my concern.

I read several articles here at the forum and on cisco.com. I understand that 0-7 are for the different priorities and off chann scanning is used to "listen" on other channels than the one currently using, resulting in not serving clients while scanning. I understand that 100 ms and prio 4-6 works fine for voice calls due to 20 ms sample duration so it won't go off-chann while calls are active.

Can I enable prio 0-7 and set the defer time to 10 seconds? I assume that it will go off channel then only when no user traffic happend for the last 10 seconds. Is this correct? Can I set it like this? Any other suggestions?

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

3 Replies 3

I would leave that setting to default 100ms for high priority traffic

HTH

Rasika

But that might degrade the performance of laptop computers, right?

No it won't. Leave it normal & see if you notice any performance degrade

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card