cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One client slow, one client fast

keith.holder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  I have an issue with some clients that seem to have poor ping times but I can't give the users a reason why. Pinging from all tested wireless clients to their respective LAN gateway router almost always results in 3ms to 10ms response times. Good.   At the same time pings across a WAN from one wireless client is >200ms while another wireless client connected to the same AP pings the same remote host across the WAN in 48ms.  It seems to follow certain clients to different sites, but I cannot figure out why.  I've updated client drivers.  Checked the wireless environment for interferrence. Created open test WLANs to see if it was encrypt/decrypt issues on the card.  No luck.  Anyone have a similar issue that they've resolved?   

Thanks.

Keith

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it the same wireless adapter and firmware on the client devices? Are they on the same band... 2.4ghz or 5ghz? I have an issue with Intel 6200's and 40mhz channel width and had to either upgrade the driver to v15 or later or disable 40mhz and only use 20mhz.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott.  They are different adapters (both Intel, but different models).  I have the most recent drivers installed from Intel.  I did find out something interesting today.  The PC with the high latency on ICMP replies will drop response times to normal/expected when additional data is being sent through the adapter.  For example, if the user calls me on his Jabber client, the ping times on his system return to normal.  If he hangs up, they go high again.  If he downloads a large file via FTP, the ping times drop then return to high once the download completes. This is loooking be a cosmetic issue with his system vs a true performance issue. 

It does look like that. Of performance is fine then I would just let it be:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card