Views
Helpful
Replies

One WLAN multiple configuration

marcin.morawski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a question concerning the configuration of the WLAN on controller WLC5509. 

I have a few branches with connecting to HQ by MPLS. 
In each location is seen the same WLAN Global_Wlan. 
I would like, so that each of the connected clients to Global_Wlan in localization, IP address got from the DHCP server at the location. 
Is it possible?

Marcin

4 Replies 4

Kyle Nielsen
Level 4
Level 4

You could do this with AP groups, create the necessary interfaces under the Controller heading and assign each location a new interface with the appropriate subnet/VLAN information and DHCP server. These new VLANs will need to be trunked to your WLC.

Then under WLANS, select Advanced - AP Groups; Create a new group for each of your location, then click on one of the new groups and select the WLANs tab, here you will add a new interface your your Global_WLAN SSID. 

Last, you will need to add the AP's in the location to the group, that can be done from the AP it self- under the Wireless heading, by template with NCS/CPI, or on the AP's under the newly created group. 

If you choose AP groups or flex connect know there are serious design considerations and study both before implementing. Items like multicast, OKC and other items come into play if you do indeed need these. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for your help.

I'll try it in next month....

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

There is another alternative design, if you want to terminate branch traffic at branch switch (including DHCP as well). You have to configure your AP as FlexConnect at braches & enable "FlexConnect Local Switching" feature on WLAN.

Here is a good Ciscolive presentation on this design & see whether that helps

BRKEWN-2016 - Branch Office Wireless LAN Design -2014 Melbourne (Link to recorded video session)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card