cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Option 43 question 3500 AP and 5508 controllers

michael.lussier
Level 1
Level 1

It seems that I have a problerm with AP's connecting to the 5508 controllers. I use infoblox as my DHCP servers.

I use option 43

my string is as follows.

0xF10C0A09F5050A09F5060A0CF505

I have the primary/ Seconday and teriary controller listed.

The question I ask is do I have the wrong 2 characters after F1 ?  Docs state 4*#controllers in my case its 3 controllers so the number is 12.

Should it be 12 or 0C ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be F10C like you have it.  But my quesiton, why list all the WLC in option 43?

When the WLC responds to the discovery request, it will send the AP the list of all the WLC in its configured mobility group.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be F10C like you have it.  But my quesiton, why list all the WLC in option 43?

When the WLC responds to the discovery request, it will send the AP the list of all the WLC in its configured mobility group.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

From what I had read it had to be 0C. I wanted to be sure. I did test with both 12 and 0C and neither seemed to work. With that said,  is option 60 have to be used in the newer code or is that still optional or a requirement ? The way I read it in one place it seems to be required , under the WiSMs on ver 7.0 I only ever used option 43 to get the AP to the proper controller. We have since decommissioned the WiSM's and upgraded to a centrallized model using a rack of 5508 controllers. Now I'm using option 43 to keep specific AP's in certian areas on specific controllers.

Currently I'm running 7.4 code on 5508.

Option 60 is still optional.  It just limits the DHCP server from returning Option 43 to all clients.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card