Replies

PoE Power injector 802.3at and 802.3af

muki30001
Level 1
Level 1

I do not know if this is the right forum to ask this question

I'm trying to find technical specs of AIR-PWRINJ4

I received Power injector Model 740-64214-001 of Ruckus Wireless

That's the only thing I've found on Google on Power injector Model  740-64214-001

I want to know if its specification is the same as that of Cisco AIR-PWRINJ4

i have AIR-CAP3502 that work on Standard power supply

I want to use the Ruckus Wireless Power injector instead of the Regular power supply

Will this fit Cisco's AIR-CAP3502?

27 Replies 27

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
It has to support 802.3af for the 3502. Please note, Wireless vendor injectors (like the Cisco PWRINJx, maybe also the Ruckus one) often don't work with other vendor AP.
For example the Cisco one does only work with Cisco APs. I don't know if it's the same with the Ruckus one.
For future upgrades I suggest you invest in 802.3at ones, nearly all newer AP models by Cisco require more than 802.3af.

@patoberli wrote:
It has to support 802.3af for the 3502. Please note, Wireless vendor injectors (like the Cisco PWRINJx, maybe also the Ruckus one) often don't work with other vendor AP.
For example the Cisco one does only work with Cisco APs. I don't know if it's the same with the Ruckus one.
For future upgrades I suggest you invest in 802.3at ones, nearly all newer AP models by Cisco require more than 802.3af.
I have not bought these items (Cisco products are very expensive in Israel
A friend of mine worked at a computer company that was shut down recently
He brought me to the Access Point and And it worked for a year and a half with a regular power supply
A few days ago he brought me the power injector
The only thing I found on the Ruckus power injector
is that It supports 802.3at standards (this from ruckus forums)  ruckus
If it is standard

So it should not matter what connects to what ?

(I just do not want to ruin the Access Point)

Hi

According to the AP datasheet, this AP supports the following sources:

• 802.3af Ethernet Switch

• Cisco AP3500 Power Injectors (AIR-PWRINJ4=)

• Cisco AP3500 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-B

I try to find a datasheet for the Ruckus Power injector but looks like it does not exist.

But, as per the link you shared, it supports 802.3ad only. It that's the case, will not work. But, I'd give it a try before anything.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

Hi

According to the AP datasheet, this AP supports the following sources:

• 802.3af Ethernet Switch

• Cisco AP3500 Power Injectors (AIR-PWRINJ4=)

• Cisco AP3500 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-B

I try to find a datasheet for the Ruckus Power injector but looks like it does not exist.

But, as per the link you shared, it supports 802.3ad only. It that's the case, will not work. But, I'd give it a try before anything.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I ask here because I do not want to try and Access Point will be destroyed

Based on what I read in Google 802.3at standard
It has a higher current and voltage than standard 802.3 af

Based on Wikipedia there are some protections built in, so you can simply try. It shouldn't damage anything, if it really states 802.3af or 802.3at.

@patoberli wrote:
Based on Wikipedia there are some protections built in, so you can simply try. It shouldn't damage anything, if it really states 802.3af or 802.3at.

can you give a link to that wikipage ?
want to read it

So I checked the power injector on two other products that I have and sit in a drawer
And they worked without a problem

So I connected it to Access Point and it works too
After a few minutes I turned it off because I saw there was a setting that related to electricity

And here's the new question
What should be marked on this screen ? (Attached image)        

I read the attached link but did not understand  Power settings

Additionally
A system log has a warning

warning full power - injector_configured_on_source inline power source

what is this warning ?

Screenshot of a system log

I'm not entirely sure, but you have configuration options on the AP in regards to the power injector. In any case, it looks like it's ok, because the other warning reads something like "insufficient power, disabling some radio antennas", that one you don't want to see.

What bothers me is that it's a warning
It's not a message

if it was

information full power - injector_configured_on_source inline power source

or

notification full power - injector_configured_on_source inline power source

then it was ok

but it says warning

Even when the access point is connected to a standard power supply
This message is written in a system log

warning Full power - AC_ADAPTOR inline power sourc

Which makes me think maybe I need to change something in settings
Because the access point is always hot

Honestly I'm not sure. Most APs do get warm to the touch, but usually not hot. On the other hand, maybe your AP can't say how much power he exactly needs and thus only gets maximum power from the PoE adapter. Maybe that's the reason for this message.

@patoberli wrote:
Honestly I'm not sure. Most APs do get warm to the touch, but usually not hot. On the other hand, maybe your AP can't say how much power he exactly needs and thus only gets maximum power from the PoE adapter. Maybe that's the reason for this message.

It is warm and connected to a normal power supply
Not to PoE adapter

I have this message even when an access point is connected to a normal power supply

In that case it might have to do with your PoE seeting on the AP itself.

If controller based, this is under Wireless -> Access Points -> All APs -> select the model -> Advanced.

Here you have two options:

Power Over Ethernet Settings
Pre-standard 802.3af switches
Power Injector State

I've never needed to configure this, but I've also never checked if I saw the message on any of my APs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card