cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE Powered WiFi as WAN device?

Brandon James
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco MBR that I use for a mobile requirement. My setup is small (fits in a small backpack) and I get about 4 hours of use on battery with one PoE device connected. I currently use a CradlePoint product that is PoE powered and lets me plug a USB cellular modem in, providing WAN connectivity to establish my VPN on the MBR.

I need to find a device to replace the CradlePoint. Ideally it would be small in size and must have WiFi as WAN / Wireless Ethernet Bridge capability. It should also be capable of receiving power from the Cisco MBR PoE.

My requirement is to get a Wifi signal converted and used for the WAN port of my router. As my setup is battery powered, I need all devices to sustain power from PoE.

Does Cisco have any devices that would meet my needs or does anyone know of any other devices that fit this description? Price tag is of no concern.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone may be able to provide.

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

when you are saying WiFi as WAN, are you meaning a cellular connection like the CradlePoint, or are you meaning 802.11 like your laptop connects to at Starbucks? What is your MBR currently?

If you are meaning 802.11 there are routers that have wireless built in, like the 892 ISR: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Stephen,

I am referring to 802.11. Not sure of the model, would have to check when i get back to work. I know that we are getting some new systems in and they come with the 5915 ESR. 

I don't have an option to switch to another device. 

Perhaps to simplify what I am trying to do, I want to be able to pull my phone out of my pocket, turn the hotspot on and get that hotspot wifi connection to the WAN port on my router. What ever device I use to do this would need to receive power from PoE.

There probably is not much of a market need for what I am trying to do as I am sure there is more practical ways to do business. However, with my unique situation, I find myself needing this. 

Thanks for your input, any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card