cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to Point bridge AP1242 to MESH (Lightweight)

afiorett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to upgrade an AP1242AG to LAP1242AG and make it run as MESH AP?

The problem is that, there is a ROOT - NONROOT BRIDGE with 2 x AP1242 and the NONROOT can reach the WLC over the air only (VIA ROOT).

So, the configuration has to be made over the air?!

Any help would be apreciated...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ooops.. you are right!! we do face some issues wit hthe Non root AP.. but root can be done!! best way is to get the Access to it manually and then doing it.. AFAIK no other way!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

there is no need to upgrade the hadrware!! Just convert the software on AIR-AP1242 to LWAPP and this wil help 1242 to act as a LAP if we a WLC... Now to use it as a MESH.. make sure you run the MESH supported code on the WLC and Mesh mode on the AP.

Regarding your 2nd question!!

"The problem is that, there is a ROOT - NONROOT BRIDGE with 2 x AP1242  and the NONROOT can reach the WLC over the air only (VIA ROOT).

So, the configuration has to be made over the air?!"

ANS - If the Bridges are in Autonomous code Bridge mode, then there is no way these bridges can communicate with the WLC unified network.. Autonomous is Diferent and WLC based is different. If you want to use 1242 currently which are in Root and Non root, then the best option is to use the MESH network by using RAP and MAP..

Here is the link which may help you a lot!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns621/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps6548/prod_brochure0900aecd8036884a.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/mesh/4.0/deployment/guide/overview.html

Please lemme know if this answered ur question and dont forget to rate the useful posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thank you for answering quickly.

I have

- a WLC on the LAN which runs IOS 7.0.98.0

- Two AP1242AG connected via RadioA (5GHz) and configured as ROOT (wired to the LAN) and NON ROOT (not easy accessible, 30ft over ground) not wired to the LAN

Upgrade the ROOT AP is easy, but then I will loose the NON ROOT.

I need to upgrade booth AP-s (my think is that NON ROOT must be 1st) to Lightweight mode and configure as Bridge to gather MESH functionality.

If I follow the standard procedure (UPGRADE TOOL + CAPWAP DISCOVERY) I need LAN connection to both AP-s, this means I need to climb and unmount the NON ROOT AP.

Is it possible to do this over the air?

Thank you!

Hi,

Over the Air we can upgrade but we will lose the access to the device at the time the AP reboots and converts to LWAPP.. please let me know ur requirements?? (Do you need this Root and Non root to be part of MESH) Coz, to get the mesh set up.. you need to have MAP and then RAP, MAP should get the ethernet bridges and then the RAP will associate wireless to MAP. We need the access to the device to get them up and running..

Lemme know if this naswered ur question and please dont forget to rate the useful posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

So to conclude,

I have to climb, unmount the AP and connect it to the LAN to upgrade it, configure it and then take back to the location to function as a MAP?

I tought Cisco would have an easier solution to migrate to enterprise technology!

P.S. The scenario was with 2 AP-s, but in reality there are many, many, many more situations like this on my network...

actually we do not need the access to the device manually.. its better to get it just in case it does not join the WLC!! just to save time afterwards,  if we get the console now, then the to troublshot as no problem!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Ok, now i'm confused...

You are saying this can be done?

Please correct me if i'm wrong...

Upgrade with Cisco Upgrade tool can not be done via wireless, so how can i load the "rcvk" image to the Nroot?

If I manage to do this somehow, doesn't the Recovery image disable all radio interfaces before the AP associates to the WLC for the first time and downloads the full LWAPP image?

But how will the AP associate if the A radio is OFF ?

If you know another way to do this, please let me know, it would save me a lot of trouble...

Thanks!

ooops.. you are right!! we do face some issues wit hthe Non root AP.. but root can be done!! best way is to get the Access to it manually and then doing it.. AFAIK no other way!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes, was affraid it would be like this...

Hope Cisco will soon give some way to do this easier!

After all, it's only migration to a better technology, wright?

Thank you for your time,

Regards!

I agree!! but its always good to get the access for the initial setup!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

I would highly suggest you involve your account team and make some kind of formal request (and business justification) for an "Indoor Mesh Recovery Image"

If I'm reading your post correctly, what you are asking for is a Lightweight image for a 1240 that will instantly be Mesh-ready.  Unless there is someone with a business need going through the proper channels, such a feature will likely just fall through the cracks.

(this is no guarantee it would happen, but at least it means someone is officially asking for it...)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: