Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible issue roaming between locations with the same Flexconnect SSID

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is an issue or the way things actually work as this is the first time I have seen this issue. I have a user with a new Windows 10 PC. We have a Cisco 5508 controller and use Flexconnect for our APs at our remote locations connected back to the controller here. My APs here were defined as local and not Flexconnect. I have a standard corporate SSID that is broadcast to all locations. We also use ISE for authentication to connect to the SSID based upon MAC address and network credentials and this has been working well for quite some time. The user has had no issues connecting to the SSID here at corporate and has been working fine wirelessly for several months. last week, he went to one of our other locations and was unable to connect to the corporate SSID even though there were other local users working just fine on it. The systems guys ended up deleting the SSID from his system and recreating it. Once they did that he was able to connect and work just fine. I am waiting for him to return to corporate and see if the issue repeats itself here at corporate.

Should a user not be able to connect to the same SSID that is broadcast as the different locations without issue? Since this is Flexconnect everything in the way of security, encryption, etc. is consistent. I just define the VLAN associated at the remote location with Flexconnect. I have not heard of other users having this issue but this is one of our first Windows 10 users. Could there possible be something different in the wireless in Windows 10 that is not in previous versions? We created this SSID across the board so that users would not have to create or add a different SSID every time they visit a location so that the end user would not need passphrases or go through a process with every location especially since we use ISE and there is more to it than simply connect and go. We asked out local Cisco support folks about it and their engineers came back with did we open a case or ask Microsoft about this issue. 

Anyone else come across anything like this? I am not eve sure where to start looking for what the issue may be.

Thanks in advance ...

Brent

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The user has had no issues connecting to the SSID here at corporate and has been working fine wirelessly for several months. last week, he went to one of our other locations and was unable to connect to the corporate SSID even though there were other local users working just fine on it.

What is the exact version of Windows 10?  Is the user running on Windows 10 Creator's Update? 

What is the exact model of the wireless NIC card? 

What is the exact version of the wireless NIC driver?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card