cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

power local settings on Cisco 1042

Gerard Roy
Level 2
Level 2

Does anyone know what dbm or mw each of the power local settings are? I see on a 1042 from -1 thru 20 and am assuming 20dBm is 100mW. Anyone know the others?

OM-ess-lab-WLAN1(config-if)#power local ?        
  <-1 - 20>  One of: -1 2 5 8 11 14 17 20
  maximum    Set power to allowed maximum

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there...

This blog post I did might help you a little.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/10/30/what-you-need-to-know-about-tx-power-and-80211a-5ghz-on-a-ci.html

However, you are correct 20 dBm is 100mW. And it will get 1/2 each step down, thats why you see 17,14,11 etc ...

Make sense ...?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Piggy backing George here.

Keep in mind that 802.11n does change the power scheme a bit, as it accounts for two transmitters not just one, as legacy 5GHz/2.4GHz does.

And finally, the 1-5 are subjective.  1 does not mean 20dBm, it means max power for that band + channel combo.

At one point I had been pushing for Cisco to show the actual dBm with/instead of the 1-5 designator, but I'm not sure where that is at.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there...

This blog post I did might help you a little.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/10/30/what-you-need-to-know-about-tx-power-and-80211a-5ghz-on-a-ci.html

However, you are correct 20 dBm is 100mW. And it will get 1/2 each step down, thats why you see 17,14,11 etc ...

Make sense ...?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ya, makes sense. Each 3 db doubles is what I used to remember. I used to know how to calculate this stuff but it has been a while. Thanks

Piggy backing George here.

Keep in mind that 802.11n does change the power scheme a bit, as it accounts for two transmitters not just one, as legacy 5GHz/2.4GHz does.

And finally, the 1-5 are subjective.  1 does not mean 20dBm, it means max power for that band + channel combo.

At one point I had been pushing for Cisco to show the actual dBm with/instead of the 1-5 designator, but I'm not sure where that is at.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Good Info as always, Cisco Forums ROCK!

Thanks guys

If you find CSC helpful support the rating system!

Gerard you are right, CSC Rocks ... . Don't forget to mark this questions as Answered.

Regards,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card