Views
Helpful
Replies

Predownload issue

Tony Davis
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading from 7.0.98 to 7.0.116

I have downloaded the code to the controller.  I  predownloaded the code to the access points.  I did a image swap, but  the AP's still show 7.0.98 as primary and now the backup image as well, with 7.0.116 as  the predownloaded image.  Why don't they show 7.0.116 as the primary  like the documentation suggests?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

25 Replies 25

Opened a TAC case and so far they have been very helpful.  I should go on to say that not every wireless case with TAC is horrible, but there are some guys that have no business taking cases. 

I'm sure my frustration yesterday got the best of me, so I needed to clarify that TAC in general is great... but I have had some not so great experiences.

Will update when I have more info from TAC.

Thanks,Tony

@Tony,

Tony any update on your progress?  I am currently running 5508 with version 7.0.116.0.  When I try to predownload a backup image to my APs nothing happens, actually one of 59 pre downloaded.

I have tried several times. 

(Cisco Controller) >show ap image all                     

Total number of APs.............................. 59
Number of APs
        Initiated....................................... 0
        Predownloading.................................. 0
        Completed predownloading........................ 1
        Not Supported................................... 0
        Failed to Predownload........................... 0

Predownload     Predownload
AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count
------------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- -------------- ---------------- ------------
xxxxxxxxx            7.0.116.0      0.0.0.0        None            None           NA               NA         
xxxxxxxxx            7.0.116.0      0.0.0.0        None            None           NA               NA         

xxxxxxxxx            7.0.116.0      7.0.116.0      Complete        7.0.116.0      NA               NA         

I completely forgot to update this...

According to TAC, this is an unresolved bug that started in a previous code release.  I am currently running 7.0.116.0, that was to get past a bug in 7.0.98.0.  I am planning to upgrade to 7.0.220.0 to fix the VLAN Select feature(interface group).  So I can't confirm whether 7.0.116.0 will give me the same problem as 7.0.98.0 did in my original post.

How I fixed 7.0.98.0:

If you log into an Access Point, you'll see that the code really did upload.  The bug exists where the WLC is supposed to issue the boot system flash command and tell the AP to boot the new image.

I use SecureCRT as a telnet manager.  So, I modified a script that logs in to the AP's directly, changes the boot sys flash variable to run the new image, writes the config to memory, and exits.  It reads a list of devices from a text file that I populated with a device report from WCS.  I know all of this may sound complicated, but it's not.  It's certainly better than manually logging into 500 AP's to do this. 

It appears that I can't attach any files here, so I'll paste the code for others to use if they need it.  As far as I know, this only works with SecureCRT, but you may be able to run it if other telnet managers run scripts.

FYI, I had to manually upgrade at least one AP to get the software version that I put in the SecureCRT.vbs

Thanks,

Tony

Actually, I was able to upload to my profile area...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/23686-102-1-58571/scripts.zip

If that link doesn't work, go check my profile.

WOW!!!  Very cool.  I will give it a shot.

Thanks

Let me know if I can answer any questions...

Learn something new today! Thanks Tony I am going to take a peek at this over the weekend. +5

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Glad I could help... that's a first for me I think(being on the helping end)

This saved my butt. Thanks Tony. I tried finding the bug on Cisco's site but nothing. Have the number just for reference?

I can't recall what the actual bug ID is... sorry. Glad the script worked out for you!

Tony

>>> dkorell 6/4/2012 6:29 PM >>>

Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/index.jspa )

Re: Predownload issue created by dkorell ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/dkorell ) in Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects - View the full discussion ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3652284#3652284 )

This saved my ****. Thanks Tony. I tried finding the bug on Cisco's site but nothing. Have the number just for reference?

Reply to this message by going to Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3652284#3652284 )

Start a new discussion in Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects at Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2043 )

===========================================================

This message is confidential, intended only

for the named recipient(s) and may contain

information that is privileged or exempt from

disclosure under applicable law. If you are

not the intended recipient(s), you are notified

that the dissemination, distribution or copying

of this message is strictly prohibited. If you

received this message in error, or are not the

named recipient(s), please notify the sender

and delete this e-mail from your computer.

ETMC has implemented secure messaging for

certain types of messages. For more information

about our secure messaging system, go to:

http://www.etmc.org/mail/

Thank you.

===========================================================

Tony

+5!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: