cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Predownload the Upgrade Image to the Controller

Chuck Dillon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question for anyone who has experiece with the predownload feature.

I am trying to minimize my rebooting of the WLC.
Is it feasible to download both the AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-220-0.aes AND AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-220-0-ER.aes to the controller and only reboot once?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keyur Desai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

{making a change as per Wesley's comment. He is right

No you will need to reboot after installing the ER fille. Dont install both files at the same time.         

You can install the .aes file first on both the controller and then use the swap command and do a simultaneous reboot.

1. Install AIR-WLC-7-0-220.0 aes on both controllers ( DO NOt reboot)

2.show boot (Your new image is primary)

//Change here : Config boot backup (*this is required if we use the swap command)

3 config ap image predownload primary all

4 (Cisco Controller) >reset system in 00:05:00 image swap reset-aps save-config  //will reset controller in 5 minutesand reboot the APs so that they can come back with the new image

More details are here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_managing_ctrlr.html#wp1177046

Additional notes :

The access point compares its running image with  the running image on the controller. If the versions match, the access  point joins the controller.

If the versions do not match, the access point  compares the version of the backup image and if they match, the access  point swaps the primary and backup images and reloads and subsequently joins the controller.

Message was edited by: Keyur Desai

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is it feasible to download both the AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-220-0.aes AND AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-220-0-ER.aes to the controller and only reboot once?

It's not "feasible" because it ain't going to work.  Try loading both without booting.  Chances are, the second one will cough up an error message.

Keyur Desai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

{making a change as per Wesley's comment. He is right

No you will need to reboot after installing the ER fille. Dont install both files at the same time.         

You can install the .aes file first on both the controller and then use the swap command and do a simultaneous reboot.

1. Install AIR-WLC-7-0-220.0 aes on both controllers ( DO NOt reboot)

2.show boot (Your new image is primary)

//Change here : Config boot backup (*this is required if we use the swap command)

3 config ap image predownload primary all

4 (Cisco Controller) >reset system in 00:05:00 image swap reset-aps save-config  //will reset controller in 5 minutesand reboot the APs so that they can come back with the new image

More details are here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_managing_ctrlr.html#wp1177046

Additional notes :

The access point compares its running image with  the running image on the controller. If the versions match, the access  point joins the controller.

If the versions do not match, the access point  compares the version of the backup image and if they match, the access  point swaps the primary and backup images and reloads and subsequently joins the controller.

Message was edited by: Keyur Desai

Not to second guess Keyur, but I think one important correction needs to be made to the steps listed.

This is probably going to sound clear as mud, but its really alot easier then this is probably going to read:

When you install a new software image to the WLC, that image becomes the Primary Image and it also becomes the Default image upon reboot. So the idea is that you pre-image download this primary image, and then you reboot everything.

However, the "reset system in X image swap reset-aps save-config" is telling the WLC and APs to swap their image. So the AP will correctly set the new preimage image as its primary, but since the WLC already had the new image as its default, its going to swap over to the backup image.   After a reboot, I believe you'll find yourself with a WLC back on your original image  since you told the WLC to swap images.

If you read the instructions in the link keyur provided, there is one important step often overlooked. It tells you to set your backup image as your active/default image.   "config boot backup"

When you do this, your WLC will be configured that upon reboot it will stay on the current image (which is now backup after your upgrade).

The "swap" command now tells the APs to swap image and the WLC to swap (back to the new image),   and you'll find that everything will be done correctly this way.

There is very much a possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure the commands listed are assuming you have set your controller to use the backup image by default after you install the new image....

@weterryExactly!

The correct command in this case is -> reset system in 00:05:00 image no-swap reset-aps save-config

Add the both option in case of HA

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card