Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Install Issues

joeswain1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have tried to upgrade a Prime Appliance from 3.0 to 3.1 using the vKVM and mapping it as a CD/DVD drive (due to not having an FTP server).

I have come to the stage that ask for the hostname, IP's etc, but after testing the Gateway and NTP ping, instead of prompting for the HA configuration and root password the device instead loads into the console and goes no further.

Also the GUI IP configured is unreachable via a web interface. I know all the setting are correct as 3.0 accepted them and worked fine, but requirements have changed and 3.1 is needed.

Anyone have an experience on how to force the appliance to finish the install correctly please?

Many thanks.

Joe

7 Replies 7

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

Based on multiple issues we have faced during the prime installation on VM and Appliances, I strongly suggest you to do a fresh install. We haver worked closely with Cisco TAC/BU and We finally have an stable system running smooth on the latest version. That fresh install was basically: install the latest version and import the maps. Leave the system to run the discovery by itself for 24-48 hours and done. Later on, you can customize again your templates or whatever is needed. I know this is a lot of work probably but it is the safe way to go.

Thanks Abraham, I think I'm going to revert back to 3.0 and get access to an FTP server and try the upgrade that way to see what happens.

At least I know 3.0 worked!

Hi joe,

I forgot to mention that I was referring to Prime Infrastructure for the Wireless Network.

I am repeating the same process this week for a PRIME Infrastructure to be used in our wired side of the network (2 separate appliances because services combined DOES NOT work). I will post here the results once the discovery is completed.

regards

I have finally got Prime 3.1 to install and run. Turns out as I was going through multiple remote connections, the upload of the file from my desktop was timing out and corrupting the install.

Once I moved the file to a closer device it uploaded fine and is running nicely.

jmf654321
Level 1
Level 1

Did you run into issues with your appliance when it was brand new and the web interface would not work. Just turned up Prime and it has ver 3.0.0.0.78 on it. I can SSH but keep getting incorrect password trying to use the web interface. Thank you for any guidance.

Have you connected a mouse, keyboard and monitor to the KVM cable and run through the initial set up? The last section of this is where you define the Web GUI username and password (root password) and username is root.

It will be just after it asks about HA configuration.

There is a port for serial port on Prime Appliance for keyboard/monitor connection. Once you turn it on, you need to press F8 or F12 (I do not recall which one now) to configure the CIMC part so then you can access the box using a browser and run the KVM (I will send you later some screenshots. This KVM is mainly for firmware upgrade and hardware operation review) nothing to do with the initial setup.

When you turn on the server the 1st time and select the keyboard/monitor option = 1 (for configuration), that allow you to enter all the parameters using the keyboard connected to the USB port of the prime appliance. I am assuming that the KVM cable that you are talking about is the serial connection to the USB port of the Prime Appliance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card