Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure Controller Configuration Backup

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to send controller configuration backups to a specific folder on a FTP server?

Currently PI backs up all the controller configs to the root directory of my FTP server. It would be really good if I can specify a folder to store the configs within Prime. Perhaps I should be backing up the configs a different way?

Thanks,                  

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could always schedule a config backup using the cli commands that way you can backup to an FTP server. The file name though will be the same and will overwrite the older version.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I having problem with my Controller Backup.

When a try witch CLI to make my Backup i get this.

mgmt-cncs/admin# backup test repository wcs-ftp-repo

% Creating backup with timestamped filename: test-130619-1202.tar.gpg

INFO : Cannot configure the backup directory size settings as the free space available is less than the current database size.

You do not have enough disk space available in your repository to complete this backup.

DB size is 48 GB

Available size is 30 GB

Please refer to the command reference guide for NCS and look at the /backup-staging-url/ command reference to setup the backup repository on an externally mounted location

Stage 5 of 7: Building backup file ...

-- complete.

Stage 6 of 7: Encrypting backup file ...

-- complete.

Stage 7 of 7: Transferring backup file ...

-- complete.

Is Backup first trying to make a local file and then send it to the repository?

Because i have only 30 GB local disk.

Usage for disk: filesystem

180752384 bytes total used

28549025792 bytes free

30293413888 bytes available

Check this doc out about making nfs backup as well as the staging URL

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25979

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes... You need space on the PI box as it generates everything first and then sends it out the the repo

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Do you know if the PI backup also contains the controller/device configurations stored on the PI box (backed up by the Controller Configuration Backup background task to PI's built in TFTP server)?

The info in the document on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/prime_infrastructure/1.2/configuration/guide/tasks.html#wp1183808 is not completely clear to me as it says that it backups the Oracle database etc., and below that is a remark "The device configurations are obtained from the devices in the back up files."

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

I would suggest you to read this document also with other posted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/prime_infrastructure/1.2/configuration/guide/tasks.html

m.gautschy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem:

Design > Management Tools > External Management Servers >  TFTP/FTP Servers  >  TFTP Server Detail

There is no possibility to set a directory name for the FTP Server!

Is it possible to use a Repository configuration for WLAN Controller backups?

We use this Repo config for Prime backups.

Thanks for your help!

drivera_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody, 

I have the similar issue.  When trying to make a backup with FTP server, I get this message:

CiscoPrimeI/admin# backup BackupFileName repository bakcupCPI
% Creating backup with timestamped filename: BackupFileName-151210-1437.tar.gpg
Backup Started at : 12/10/15 14:37:29
ERROR : Cannot configure the backup directory size settings as the free space available (44975 MB) is less than the current database size(86835 MB).
% Internal error: couldn't create backup file

The FTP server has a 1TB disk free space.  

I created 3 .txt files in the FTP path and when using the command show repository bakcupCPI I get this:

CiscoPrimeI/admin# show repository bakcupCPI
Prueba
1.txt
Prueba
2.txt
Prueba
3.txt
CiscoPrimeI/admin#

It shows that CPI knows where the FTP is located and can access to it, but the issue is still appearing. 

It seems that CPI is viewing the defaultRepo and the ftp repository as a one device:

CiscoPrimeI/admin# dir disk:/defaultRepo

Directory of disk:/defaultRepo

194322432 bytes total used
43146285056 bytes free
45699481600 bytes available
CiscoPrimeI/admin# dir disk:/ftp

Directory of disk:/ftp
4096 Dec 01 2015 23:55:03 reports/
4096 Dec 01 2015 11:19:32 reportsOnDemand/

194322432 bytes total used
43146285056 bytes free
45699481600 bytes available
CiscoPrimeI/admin#

I'll appreciate any help you can give me. 

Diego. 

Hello Diego.
You probably already solved your problem, but i will just leave i there for future generations ;)

The problem with insufficient space exist even when you backup to the FTP/NAS/Whatever because your PRIME is trying to prepare some data locally before if copies it to the remote location.
This can be *partially* solved by specyfiyng backup-staging-url (just google it) but if you are really low on disk space you may also experience problems with oracle's so called fast recovery area.
All you have to do then is to map some nfs share into /opt/oracle/base/fast_recovery_area/ (prime 2.2)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card