Views
Helpful
Replies

Priming a 2702I AP without the AirProvision application

gustavo-suarez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

Need your help with the priming process for a 2702I AP. I am unable to use a smartphone to prime the 2702I AP with the use of the AirProvision application. To make things more difficult, it is the only 2702I that I will integrate with my 2504 WLC. Is there a why to prime the AP without the AirProvision application and without another "Universal" AP in a network? I have gone through several user guides and it does not mention a why to prime these APs without the application nor the presence of another "Universal" AP in the network.

Thank you in advanced,

Gustavo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not possible, only possible ways are with mobile or another primed access point.

A universal access point can get primed in two ways:

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is not.  If you don't have an existing primed access point then you can only do it using the SmartPhone app.

My apologies for my grammar error on the word "way". Thank you for your response. I thought this was exactly the case I am encountering.

Thank you.

I found the issue I was encountering was that I did not have the 2.4Hz radio on as I was reviewing my steps. It is extremely important you have the 2.4Hz enabled since this is the radio frequency it uses to perform the priming.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not possible, only possible ways are with mobile or another primed access point.

A universal access point can get primed in two ways:

So, do I really need to go get someone with an Android or Windows phone to do this because Cisco has not made an app that can successfully be used with Apple products for priming?

Pretty frustrating. The 5ghz band cannot be configured to operate without priming the unit, but the AirProvision software refuses to connect. Unbelievable that this is near impossible. No new solutions yet in 2018?

I have no issue with my iPhone and using their tools.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Interesting! Sounds like you have the answer.

Cisco has an open bug on this, and my issue falls in line with the bug. They did not provide a solution.

Cisco-AirProvision 1.4 for iOS throw error "Unable to retrieve IP for AP"
Bug ID: CSCuy52676

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy52676

The work around is for a 3702 with a different firmware. Needless to say the work around did not work for 2702 which I am using in autonomous mode. The bug indicates a 3700 series AP, but the 2702 is experiencing the same problem. Can you explain what the process is that allows yours to work? I would be ecstatic for a fix to get my 5ghz working. Please tell me your fix, as all other commentary on this subject says there is no work around and there is a known issue preventing it from working.

I attached screen shots. I am connected to the AP, the Cisco Air Provision software recognizes the SSID I am connected to (location services are enabled on my iPhone), the MAC address of the AP, and the country of origin my phone resides in. I am using the latest version of Air Provision (1.4), my iPhone is a mode 8s, and I am using iOS 12.1.1.  The credentials for the AP are still at default.

Thanks,

E

Decided to get my neighbor's android phone and attempt the AirProvision download of the app to prime the AP, however it seems it's not compatible which is strange. It also seems that others have serious issues if not complete failure to get the app to work once it is installed. I guess I will lean toward prior comments on this issue that this may not work. If anyone else was successful with this and would like to share their solution, please assist. 

E

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card