cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printing Solutions for Guest Wireless

ddavies016
Level 1
Level 1

So this is something that has been bouncing around the forums for a year or two now.  I have failed to come up with a "best-of-breed" approach that meets the strict security requirments of a government department.

The scenario is this - the wireless platform is based around centralised Wism controllers in a datacentre and an anchor controller (for guest wireless) in a dmz, we have WCS to manage the components including the Lightweight Access-Points (mainly Cisco 1142N's) with a Cisco NGS to act as both hotspot and as the client credentials RADIUS authority. it works great except for printing which simply isn't currently an option.

The solution services a wide number of geographic locations - all members of the one guest SSID and mobility group.  Since clients that connect to this are effectively DMZ'd and only able to connect to the internet, I am struggling to find a practical way to provide printing specific to each geographic site without going for a cloud service such as "Drop-box", or "PrinterON" 

Has anyone out there in the Community come up with any innovative approaches to this connundrum?  If so please join the conversation

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've encountered the same issue. Did you find a solution?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've encountered the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Alas no - but to be fair I haven't really made it my main focus, in recent controller releases it looks like you can get around this by enabling the split-tunnel functionality thereby allowing a wireless network to send to a local printer.  I haven't explored or tested this though?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card